Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda - Huge Population Increase?

Options
  • 14-02-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I was just wondering whether anybody else has any concerns about the projections and plans of the Borough Council/Louth County Council. Apart from the Northern Environs Plan, I read in the Leader last night about plans to 're-develop' (ie. build apartments) the greater docklands area on both sides of the river.

The town itself is already choked with traffic...

My husband and I commute to Dublin everyday, and I wonder:

1. Where are all the new people who move into Drogheda going to work? (I presume they are moving in as opposed to people already living in Drogheda who need houses?). I know that there is a certain amount of incentive for companies to open in Dundalk/Drogheda area - but enough to sustain this sort of population?

2. Assuming this to be true - a significant percentage of this new population may be commuting to Dublin, it already can take up to 1 1/2 to 2 hours at rush hour... are we going to have to get out of bed at 5am to get into the city for 9?

I got this from Unison, Drogheda Independent, Jan 10 07.
    'DROGHEDA Borough Councillors have adopted the planning strategy for the Greater Drogheda Area which could potentially see the population of Drogheda and North East Meath rise to almost 90,000 people over the twenty-year period of the plan.

It is anticipated that by 2024 there will be 65,000 people living in the Drogheda area and 24,000 in North East Meath making for an expected total population growth of 89,000.'

It goes on to say that they recommend 'the provision of a new bridge crossing along the quays, construction of a western river crossing to accommodate the increase in demand for cross-river peak period travel by car.'

I feel a bit cynical about the 'recommendation' of the new bridge, surely the bridge and the infrastructure comes BEFORE the houses?

Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a rant but I would love to know other peoples views on this - correct me if necessary, maybe I'm being a cynical pessimist.

Proviso: I don't know a huge amount about how things are planned/decisions made etc. between Town Planner/Drogheda Council/Louth Council.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

You're right to be cynical. The powers that be in Drogheda have only ever aspired to the town getting 'City Status'. Drogheda always used to lose out on the Industrial side to Dundalk. It's only been in the last couple of years that new industries have decided to come to the town.
    The Drogheda Independent listed over 1400 people on list for local authority housing and admitted that there were 'a great deal of people on the list that have good jobs but are priced out of housing market'. So, before they start thinking about infra-structure, more industry and the inevitable population explosion, they would need to see about accomodating the current population, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Puddles, how are they allowed to get away with this sort of thing? The more I think about it the more angry I feel.

As I said (though I've lived in Drogheda all my life) I don't really know how the planning decisions work. Is there some sort of public consultation - from what I do know (may be wrong here) they put plans on public view in the council offices from 9.00 - 4.00pm Mon-Friday, yeah, very helpful for commuters.

Who do ordinary people contact to express concern (TD?), how are the town 'decision makers' elected? Who is the town planner accountable to?

I just think it's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I had a long post about this typed, but I seem to have lost it. I haven't time now, but I'll get back to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

I see in this weeks paper that the town council are actually thinjing of building in the designated green belts to ease the pressure of housing crisis. Naturally enough, some politicians have voiced horror and/or concern about this. Funnily enough, theres not much input from the public though, understandably, many people will put their housing needs before their environmental concerns. Wonder how this is going to pan out. Watch this space.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

They are discussing this general issue on Brenda Power at the mo - the key problem, which comes first - the infrastructure or the housing (which - in theory - brings increased population thus funding for roads etc.).

There was a Meath Co. Co. Counciller on saying that the housing comes first... this attitude is the one I have a major problem with. The Counciller also claimed that the Dept. issued directions to 'de-zone' previously zoned for housing areas, while being told that Meath Co Co 'had to do their part for the population of the greater Dublin area.

I thought that recent reports (not sure from whom, heard it on the radio) warned against Dublin being as sprawling as Los Angeles with a much smaller population?

It is evidently a problem facing by all towns in 'the greater Dublin area', and by definition the quality of life of everybody who lives in this area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement