Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What annoys you ie. anyone in production about us actors ie. the cattle!

Options
  • 14-02-2007 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭

Decided to make this a new thread on its own.
    I am an actress who has been in a few productions in film and theatre but still fairly new and young. Recently i went to an audition and was asked which i prefered film or theatre i said both the director promptly told me that was unusual as actors always said they hated film and loved theatre and it really annoyed him. I thought this was a careless thing for an actor to say and disrespectful to someone who worked in the genre of film.

And i wondered what else do we actors do that pisses people of? There must be so much. I try to always get along with all members of production and to respect their skills and appreciate their work and time although i have to say i notice a lot of actors do not and treat people terribly ( they treat runners as if they are their personal servants or something).

As an actress i dont ever want to be like that!

So what really pisses you off about us actors then!!??
    Come on let it out you know you want to.
    I just thought it would be interesting to talk about and then i could make sure i never do any of it.:)

So whether you are in casting or are a director(Oooh you guys must have so much!) or in lighting or wardrobe or editing or whatever let it out.

I know people in casting tend to feel as if the spirit is being sucked out of them after they see the 50th person and tend to get understandably irked!

Just thought i could use it all for tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm not that experienced a filmmaker, but from what I've seen is that every actor is replacable, and not all of them realise that. I worked on a film with an actor who thought the world owed him an oscar (and he was totally rubbish), and he had no regard for any of the crew and felt he had to give all the other actors acting tips. He even rewrote part of the script without telling anyone and started calling action and cut.

That sort of thing is not on. You have to treat everyone with respect and and know that you're part of a team. Once someone starts acting like the guy above, then the whole dynamic of the group starts to fall apart and the what should be a great experience becomes a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Devinho

humanji wrote:
    I worked on a film with an actor SNIP felt he had to give all the other actors acting tips. He even rewrote part of the script without telling anyone and started calling action and cut.

Wouldn't mail me off-list with a name, would you? I'd hate to hold up a production because I had to sack some prick.

Most actors I've worked with are great - as long as the director is good with actors. If the director doesn't know what he/she is doing then even good actors will struggle (bull**** instructions, results directing, not listening to the actor, not giving feedback after each take, not knowing the story and worst of all not knowing the characters - all of these will throw an actor off). But that's where casting comes in - don't cast idiots.

It works both ways - if you're an actor, show up on time, listen to the director's feedback, be respectful, and enjoy yourself.

As a director I love actors, when I'm shooting and the performances are working it's a thing of sublime beauty that gives me nothing but joy. I worked with five good actors on a scene this weekend and it went well. I actually miss them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I had my story up on another thread about an actor (female one, we are not allowed say actress anymore) who was also a friend and she kept bringing personal events and comments onto the sets of my films which made her extremely difficult to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Devinho

Can't be having that.

These are all common to cast and crew - I was working as a 1st and had a 3rd badger the director over decisions made on set design; if I'd had the power to I'd have sacked him on the spot. In fact this is just workplace stuff - it's the same in any industry; you've got to be appropriate, stay focused, do your job, or there'll be problems.

Difficulties with actors? Okay, here's one, a really mild one. I was workshopping a scene with an actor who ten minutes beforehand had discovered their own picture in the programme for the film festival... actually, I was going to say that we kinda lost them for the rest of the session, but thinking about it I think they did really well, considering the adrenaline surge they must've gotten.

But then I'm deeply sympathetic to actors. I think directors are supposed to be. If you don't like actors then work in animation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

humanji wrote:
    I'm not that experienced a filmmaker, but from what I've seen is that every actor is replacable, and not all of them realise that. I worked on a film with an actor who thought the world owed him an oscar (and he was totally rubbish), and he had no regard for any of the crew and felt he had to give all the other actors acting tips. He even rewrote part of the script without telling anyone and started calling action and cut.

That doesn't sound like an actor to me. That sounds like someone who just loves the dole queue too much.

I'd hate to direct an actor like that. Couldn't stand it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement