Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happened to the Others' Superhuman Strength?

Options
  • 13-02-2007 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Others have superhuman strength back in series 1 and 2? I seem to remember Ethan being in the same league as Jaws from James Bond - ie. smash a brick on his head and he smiles at you kinda thing....

Last night I distinctly remember a girl (Kate) kicking the crap out of one of them.

Has the superhuman strength thing been quietly dropped by the writers, or is there possibly an explanation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭event

well it was just ethan picking up charlie

maybe, ethan was the strongest and quite fit. Charlie is small, and was still on drugs so could have been quite light and weak. Thats all i remember anyway

or maybe they are stonger on the original island, but not the captive one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 xbox-face

The superstrangth will be re-addressed this season and trust me it will be shock to you. Can you believe me irish friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

xbox-face wrote:
    The superstrangth will be re-addressed this season and trust me it will be shock to you. Can you believe me irish friend
    ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

xbox-face wrote:

?? wtf ??

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

I don't think the others have superhuman strength. They are more adapted to the island because they've been there for so long. In season one
    Jack was able to beat up Ethan before Charlie shot him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Yes, I think it was more the mystery of the Others that led us to believe that they were of superhuman quality. (Wow what a nerdy sentence).

I would have preferred if they had gone down that road but now, it seems they are just normal people who,
    perhaps were brainwashed into doing experiments on this island. It looks like they were brought here by the Dharma to do ____. (something!) and that some of them (if not all) are just as much victims as the Losties.
    Just a theory really, based on season 3 episode 7.

Lost has lost (haha) the mystery it used to have. I hope that in season 3 it will regain that quality, yet answer a few questions too!

Back on topic, remember all the whispers in the jungle? That can't be the Others now, so perhaps it was the monster, or just the 'island'. ????...

on lostpedia, the whispers are others talkin at the same time on three audio channels, left right n centre, they split them up on the site, its all just talkin bout the losties "there he is", "did he see us?", "i told you he was american" etc, great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

crap idea..lost is gone..2 many questions no answers ,,,maybe mulder and scully will come in to solve it

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

cuppa wrote:
    crap idea..lost is gone..2 many questions no answers ,,,maybe mulder and scully will come in to solve it

Yeah, I just remembered
    they killed Libby and her story didn't make any sense.

cuppa wrote:

i dont mean the whispers were a great idea, i meant the whole, 3 tracks playing the different voices at the same time was good.. why the whispers were so loud/how they had a conversation all talking at once etc was daft..

and yeah, was the "twist" for libby
    (that she was in the institution with hurley)
    just completely pointless and had no revelance or resonance whatsoever? completely useless..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

As regards the the ohers strenght, it's probably down to indoctrination, the vaccine, brainwashing, or the fertility program. Have a look at Ethan in Juliets flashback, he's clearly been brainwashed and he seems to be a kinda of bodyguard for that other Mittleos guy.
    In terms of Libby s backstory we just can't say yet if it's good or bad or pointless, lets wait for them to resolve that, which they said they were going to do and then make our decisions.

ohh i thought that libby was just gone, there's a chance she'll be back? i did not know that...
    but still, i cant think of a way that they can make it seem important y'know? not even important, how can it affect anything other than making hurley go gasp? it just peeved me off i guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

she'd make desmond gasp too, she gave him the boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That wasn't her... was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yah twas her with a different haircut

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I can recall something that that story was cut off due to something to do with the actress, that she was fired, or quit or something? Any one else confirm this?

If not, what they could do to make it relevant again, is have her pop up in everyone's back story being an integral part of them getting to the island (such as giving desmond the boat). or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

There was an incident involving her and Anna Lucia, they got drunk:eek:
    but the writers denied killing them off because of this claiming that it was a planned part of ther stroy arc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

If they got rid of Libby because the actress got drunk then.....grr..I'll have to track down the writers and hurt them. :eek: :p

Libby was such a good character and then they go and kill her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

If they got rid of Libby because the actress got drunk then.....grr..I'll have to track down the writers and hurt them. :eek: :p

Libby was such a good character and then they go and kill her.

She had a weird face =/

But I really do hope they come back to her at some stage. I'd completely forgotten that she was in the show at all until I read this thread, and now I'm pissed off that I've realised her story isn't finished!

Lost needs to get it's act together in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

they wheren't just drunk, they where DUI, I think their mugshots are up on the smoking gun. Afair Eko was caught doing the same thing then mysteriously gets killed off. Either way its speculation.

I too wondered about the others strength, I mean eko was clearly scared of what they could do (remember the dead guy in the forest) they also where able to move without making a sound, haven't seen any of that this season.

• Advertisement

OT: l31mr0d, that is the best sig i think ive ever seen!

but yeah, the others used to be a mysterious, creepy force, now theyre just saps. poorly handled idea on the show...

Advertisement