Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor rating

Options
  • 13-02-2007 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Is this processor any good?
    AMD SEMPRON Processor 3400 (1.80Ghz, 256K)
    I know its a much older model but will it run a home computer with standard programmes and maybe a few games ok? It is a pretty cheap system so I'm paying for what I expect?
    Should I pay and upgrade?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's a fine processor for standard programs, and should be ok (ish) for most games once it's coupled with a decent graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are the games?

And it's 2ghz for the 3400+, not 1.8.

Either way it's better for gaming as the 'budget' tag would have you believe (similar to the newer celeron processors which are quite good).

As long as you have a decent graphics card you could run newish titles like Battlefield 2 or Half Life 2 at high settings without too much bother.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/200/9

Look there for a few indications, it outperformed a 3Ghz Pentium 4 and Athlon XP 3200+ in most tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It is 1.8ghz on the am2 platform, but 2.0ghz on the 754 platform.

Im guessing his will be the am2.

Advertisement