Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tools, bench etc for novice

Options
  • 12-02-2007 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey, I've begun experimenting with some simple joinery and I am curious to know where would be a good place to start looking for the startup tools(chizels, mortise guage, mortise saw, etc..) Also im looking to get a workbench, something fairly solid. Im in the cork area so any tip on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I started out buying my first few tools in McQuillans of Capel Street, Dublin- you have one in Cork City Centre too, last time I was there! Gough's on Mary Street (Dublin again) is very good and occasionally they do offers on sets of chisels etc. However most recently I am a convert to buying online, usually at www.axminster.co.uk or www.fine-tools.com especially as these online shops have a lot of stuff that you just won't find in Ireland. Axminster is pretty competetive price wise, I think and there's a great thrill when your box of goodies arrives! Enjoy!
    As for starter tools you won't go wrong with a standard set of Marples or (blue) stanley bevel edge chisels. The Stanley Dynagrip range are better suited to heavy site work. Buy a good hammer- Estwing or Vaughan, spear and Jackson do a reasonable quality saw- tenon or dovetail. For planes you're best steering clear of Stanley- their modern planes are pretty rubbish. either try and buy an older plane second hand or else spend a few bob on a Clifton beauty- you only need a handful starting off, maybe a No. 3 smoother and a No. 5 jack. That and a good block plane. Buy a set of screwdrivers- Draper do pretty good quality sets for less than €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

Hi,Murray thats pretty sound advice Carpainter has offered. If I had the sence to do what you did and ask for advice it would have saved me a lot of cash.Now I have a shed full pf tools which I'll probley never use. luckily they werent all top of the range stuff. My pennyworth of advice is only buy what you think you will need to do whatever project you are at. Then only buy as you need it ,you may even find ways to extend the tools tou have by makeing jigs and otherbits and pieces anyway best of luck. Axminster are very good I ordered on Tues. morn. it arrived Thurs morn. boysie39

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I'd second Boysie on only buying as you need to, I too bought a load of cheaper, poorer quality tools in my quest to get tooled up. If I'd bided my time and done more research (on the web, books, talking to other woodworkers etc) I'd have saved my money and only bought the best tools I needed.

Advertisement