Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel - select every 30th entry?

Options
  • 12-02-2007 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a project due for college. Long story short, it's tracking prices.

I've got data on BP's share price for every trading day (Mon-Fri, excluding holidays) from 1981 to the 2007 - 6700 rows of data. I also have the price of oil, but in monthly data. I want to match the data up with regards to time.

Other than scrolling through the 6700 rows of data and tediously selecting, is there anyway I can get, say, the entry for the first of every month? Or better yet, the arithmetic average over a month?

I've attached the data set.

Thanks,
    Ibid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Edser

Clean up the data and use VLOOKUP..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

agreed, vlookup is what you want. Specifically you need to regularise the date column so that for example its dd/mm/yyyy and then use vlookup to return the data you want.

your main problem is that your dates are not formatted in a standard way - get that sorted and then the rest will com easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Thanks lads.

Advertisement