Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law & Accounting

Options
  • 12-02-2007 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for the off topic nature of this thread.

Anyway im a likkle leaving cert and have decided (possibly while drunk :rolleyes: ) to go to UL. Maybe its because the campus is bigger than where im from...

i've stuck L & A down no.1 and business no.2, so what i really want to know is what these courses are really like (aside from the glossy propaganda), so if your doing L & A or business your thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'm 3rd year business, and if your first choice doesn't work out don't be disheartened. I only ever wanted to do marketing so BBS was perfect for me, but my minor is law. So far I've studied Principles of Law, Contract Law, Law of Torts and Labour Law, and will study Commercial Law and Company Law next year. I know BBS has changed since I first started but there should still be a decent law component.

Of course if you have L&A first choice you'll probably major in Accounting and Finance. Both courses share some modules also. In short, both are excellent courses, although I have a bias towards BBS ;)

Hope your LC goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm doin BBS too....LC contract law was enough to put me off law for life so I took German instead of Law.....I would have done L&A, but the Law aspect for 1st and 2nd year was off putting, so if you want to avoid law, do a little worse in the leaving.... You will HAVE to do Principles of Law, but you'll be lucky to avoid such modules as Business and Society which has no relevance really....why would any business student want to know why and how the Great Western Railway was built....at least that's been dropped in the new BBS course

But you'll definitely love the UL experience regardless of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Like Ninty9er I'm a 2nd year BBS student.

The course has been altered since we started, 1st years no longer have to pick an elective when they start.. [damn Sociology has plagued me ever since]
    I don't know how much it has altered, but I do know that some of the ****ty modules such as Business and Society have been removed.
    It is definitely a good course to do, as it offers a lot of variance. The options that lead from Business are quite impressive.
    I'd recommend doing the BBS course, [loads of women :D ]..

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

4th BBS, Accounting and Finance...

Wanted to do L&A but wasn't smart enuf!! :D

Seriously tho, BBS is a great course..you get such a diverse range of topics in your first 2 years..some modules can be a pain in the arse, but once you get into 3rd year, if accounting is what you wanna do, pretty much all ur modules are with law and accounting peeps...so ur really not missing out on much!!

exemption wise, there's no difference (L&A get exempt from the law module, but BBS can get exempt too if they do law as their minor option - just don't do financial services like me-it sucks ass!!)

any more queries, pm if you want!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭cson

Thanks a mil guys

Right while im here i might as well ask a few more q's

How many hours in the BBS course?

And which is better on campus - Thomand or Kilmurry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

BBS has, on avergae, between 16-18 hours a week...normally it's 16, but it depends on what elective and major/minor you pick..it's not too bad, the hours are normally bundled together, so ur not in at 10 and stuck there til 5 for the sake of 2 hours...

never lived in student accomm myself but Kilmurry is slightly nearer to the concert hall (where BBS have most of their lectures in 1st & 2nd year) and much better craic - thomand isn't worth the amount you pay for it. plus kilmurry is near the bus stop, the arena and, most importantly, the lodge, where you will spend many a drunken night!!

Dromroe is probably the best place on campus, further from the lodge and stuff but closer to the concert hall than kilmurry..really nice too have a few friends staying there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mé Féin

I was just wondering does anyone know what building the Law & Accounting or Business courses are in and which apartments are closest to it!!

Cheers for the help!;)

For BBS, most lectures will be in the Foundation Building...spitting distance from Dromroe...Schuman Building is popular enough with business tutorials..near Dromroe too..though the new BBS building should be finished in 2009 which is still closer to Dromroe than anywhere else on campus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

ninty9er wrote:
    For BBS, most lectures will be in the Foundation Building...spitting distance from Dromroe...Schuman Building is popular enough with business tutorials..near Dromroe too..though the new BBS building should be finished in 2009 which is still closer to Dromroe than anywhere else on campus

It'l be finished end of this year, or early next year, I'm staring at it right now. Foundations took a while, but it's flying up now! Too bad I'll have to do a masters if I ever wanna have a lecture in there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement