Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4 @ 8pm: God is Green

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well I hope nobody watched this as it didn't amount to much, I thought. :cool:

Meh!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I watched it for about 10 minutes before it bored me to tears. What I found most interesting was the presenter, a Christian, looking at all these religions and various versions of Christianity and commenting on their exploitation in fighting global warning and mentioning nothing about how this affects his faith.

I think Top Gear did more in 5 minutes on Sunday than this did to make people realise that America needs a good kick up the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What did Top Gear do?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They went on a road trip across the southern States and drove thru Alabama with slogans such as "Man Love Rules" and "Hillary for President" painted on their (scrapheap recovered) cars. They were run out of a small town by "the boys"after being stoping for petrol. They also showed the mess in New Orleans a year after the Hurricane.

I think its repeated tonight on BBC.

EDIT: youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Interesting that the standard holy books are bereft of any Green message, in fact the whole 'Everything is there for man and he is master of all' message could easily be read as being very anti-green.

For books that are mean to be 'prophetic' and 'meaningful' today, they deal a lot with things of interest to folks 1,000's of years ago, and strangely say little about the challenges that we face now.

Like others above I tried to watch the program, but I managed only 10 or so minutes. I just have a total disconnect listening to people like that, I see their lips moving and hear words but nothing makes any sense.

No doubt in the next 10 years various churches will 'discover' a green message in their holy books after diligent 'interpretation' of scripture, and they'll attempt some form of jumping on the band-wagon. Except possibly for those merkins, who take this whole 'climate change' thing as just more evidence for the imminent rapture, and consider their use of SUVs as giving God a helpin' hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

pH wrote:

No doubt in the next 10 years various churches will 'discover' a green message in their holy books after diligent 'interpretation' of scripture, and they'll attempt some form of jumping on the band-wagon.

haha. Indeed. You might make a killing at the bookies if you put some money down on that right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

pH wrote:
    Interesting that the standard holy books are bereft of any Green message, in fact the whole 'Everything is there for man and he is master of all' message could easily be read as being very anti-green.

For books that are mean to be 'prophetic' and 'meaningful' today, they deal a lot with things of interest to folks 1,000's of years ago, and strangely say little about the challenges that we face now.

Like others above I tried to watch the program, but I managed only 10 or so minutes. I just have a total disconnect listening to people like that, I see their lips moving and hear words but nothing makes any sense.

No doubt in the next 10 years various churches will 'discover' a green message in their holy books after diligent 'interpretation' of scripture, and they'll attempt some form of jumping on the band-wagon. Except possibly for those merkins, who take this whole 'climate change' thing as just more evidence for the imminent rapture, and consider their use of SUVs as giving God a helpin' hand.

I'll give them a hand - Man was appointed steward, not master. It is his duty to care for what God has entrusted to him - and if you want to really sharpen that message, suggest that believers will be called to account for their stewardship of the earth, come the Day.

All Biblically justifiable - but then, what isn't?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement