Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half a ton of gunk = graphics card running at 120C

Options
  • 12-02-2007 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

I got a little program called speedfan.. simply because my pc seems to be so damn loud.. fans always going mad.. but when I saw the temperatures it was reading I thought there is noway they can be that high.. especially the graphics card which was giving a reading up to 120celcius.

So of course I just ignored it, but, earlier today, for some reason I just decided to pull the graphics card out and have a look at it - geforce 6800. Found a small enough screwdriver and unscrewed the tiny little bolts, took the front plate off.

There was a layer of fur the thickness of a carpet..

I reckon I scraped and literally pulled out enough gunk to fill an eggcup..

It was actually between the fan and the heatsink.. and now.. graphics card is running at 42c. I think this could be quite common with slightly older AGP cards, so don't be afraid to have a look.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i had the same experience with my CPU heatsink...a nice layer of crap across the top so no air was being pushed through the fins...leading me to discover that Intel's thermal cutoff works very efficiently.. ;) since i've moved the PC a couple of feet off the floor it hasn't been imitating a dyson quite so much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I doubt 120 was accurate anyway. The card would shut down before it reached that high a temperature.

Advertisement