Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE dropping the ball?

Options
  • 11-02-2007 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if there's a particular reason why RTE will be showing episodes of Lost after Sky from now on?

I was surprised to learn that Lost returns tonight on Sky at 10pm while it's on RTE tomorrow.

With that in mind I imagine many Irish people like myself will simply watch it on Sky rather than wait for it on RTE which means RTE will lose viewers, no?

Also, I thought Ireland had secured the rights to certain shows before the British? Is it a case of RTE slipping up? Could RTE feasibly show a double bill and go ahead of Sky?

I guess it's not a major issue but I've enjoyed watching it on Monday/Tuesday as opposed to on a Sunday.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Not everyone in the country has sky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Id rather watch on RTE but tonight anyway Ill be watching sky because Im not around tomorrow. I feel like we should support RTE who has given us the show well before others for the last 2 and a half years.
    But at this point there is only a few days gap between the US and Europe, so it is extremely doubtful RTE will be able to have a double bill - because episode 8 just aint ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

if u don't have sky by now u must be "lost".
    anyway just download it off the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

yayamark wrote:

Yes because paying out €22+ p/m for 60 channels of f*ck all, must mean you're of above average intelligence eh?
    yayamark wrote:

Not so intelligent after all then...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

yayamark wrote:
    Wow wow wow you did not just say that :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Because RTE like having Lost on a Monday.
    Sky like having theirs on a Sunday.
    Sky like being first over this side of the atlantic.
    RTE being first makes sky very mad.
    Sky asks yankee doodles: "here, any chance we can get it before those paddy's?"
    Yankee Doodle's reply: "Yeah, sure."
    Sky is very happy.
    RTE probably still isn't aware sky've beat them.
    To compensate, RTE have decided to make god awful The Hoff immitation ads for their monday night schedule.

...and we all lived happily ever after.

THE END.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

money well spent and thats what the net is for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

yayamark wrote:

first one-your a moron.not everyone wants sky or can afford it.
    second one-your a moron. you do know the amount of people unable to get bb in this countrie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

well for tonight anyway you may be like me and want to watch Die Hard or/and match of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

yayamark wrote:

Oh dear. I see a big shiny red card coming for that one.

As for the show being on Sky first, RTE are showing it 5 days after the US airing. That is pretty much unheard of for US dramas over here but Sky seriously outbid Channel 4 for Lost Seasons 3/4 so they probably insisted on the rapid turnaround.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Sky have always had Lost on a Sunday. RTÉ have always had Lost on a Monday / Tuesday.

Both want to broadcast within the same week as ABC.

ABC air on Wednesday.

Nobody watches TV on a Friday or Saturday.

Therefore, Sunday is the first night after ABC's airing that it is worthwhile to show Lost. If RTÉ wanted it before Sky, their only realistic option would be 9pm on Sunday, they'll probably get more people watching if they air it the next night.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Linku wrote:
    Sky have always had Lost on a Sunday. RTÉ have always had Lost on a Monday / Tuesday.

Both want to broadcast within the same week as ABC.

ABC air on Wednesday.

Nobody watches TV on a Friday or Saturday.

Therefore, Sunday is the first night after ABC's airing that it is worthwhile to show Lost. If RTÉ wanted it before Sky, their only realistic option would be 9pm on Sunday, they'll probably get more people watching if they air it the next night.

I see. Thanks for this information.

It seems then it's more a case of Sky being very shrewd rather than RTE dropping the ball.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

yayamark wrote:

Banned?

Unless ABC provides downloadable episodes with a fee?

I refuse to watch Lost on Sky One, mainly because they bought out Channel 4.

Actually, you can watch episodes online for free, but only in America. See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭SoSueMe

They said on the Saturday Show about the show could possibly move to Thursday. It seems likely but they did move Ugly Betty to Thursdays at eight. At least RTE are sticking with the show remember 24? Once Sky got it RTE kicked it to the curb. Nothing surprises me with RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 floofighterz

I reckon RTE should air Lost at the same time that Sky shows it, at least then we wouldn't have to sit through so many ad-breaks on Sky. They break for ads after only five minutes into the show! It does my head right in. :rolleyes: Yeah I know I could wait 'til Monday night for the RTE airing but what can I say, I have no patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭SoSueMe

RTE may be dropping the ball next Monday by delaying episode 9 to 10.45PM due to the Oscars which nobody cares about as everyone will know the winners by the time it airs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Wertz wrote:
    Yes because paying out €22+ p/m for 60 channels of f*ck all, must mean you're of above average intelligence eh?
    I don't know what it's like outside Dublin but in Dublin we take the 17 channels or whatever it is for granted. I certainly don't know anyone in Dublin that doesn't have the likes of Sky one, UTV, Channel 4, MTV, etc.

Advertisement