Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative/Indie nights in Dublin at the weekend?

Options
  • 11-02-2007 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

A few of us are travelling to Dublin in a fortnight for the weekend (Friday to Monday), and were wondering if anyone could recommend any good pubs/clubs playing some good music for a change?

I know it's generally better on weeknights/student nights most places.

Any suggestions welcomed!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Doyles opposite Trinity College.

The Oak/Thomas Reeds on Dame St.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd normally have said Whelans as a reliable, but i was in there over the wknd and the place was full of c**ts. Saw a guy glassed. Also saw one of the most disgusting things ever in Abra on Westmorland St. A guy punched a girl right in the face and possibly broke her noae as well as knocking her out.

Made me ashamed to think these people are what a part of Dublin and Ireland is coing to. I don't want this to come across as a ****ing moral sermon but that's just not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thatmusicman

I like the sound of Doyles and Thomas Read's, I'll be giving them a go! The only pub I remember from last time is Bruxelles. That was a great place, in fact spent most of our time there.

Any other ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

lordgoat wrote:
    I'd normally have said Whelans as a reliable, but i was in there over the wknd and the place was full of c**ts.
    Whelans was always full of c**nts of one type or another.

If you liked Brux, check out Fibbers on Parnell St (just off O'Connell St.). It's dingy, it's dirty and it smells like piss... but it can be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Anseo on Camden St on a Friday night is good fun. Not strictly indie, but hey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

magpie wrote:
    Anseo on Camden St on a Friday night is good fun. Not strictly indie, but hey.

Yeah, Anseo is a cracking little pub!

Have to add Carnival on Wexford st. DJ's most weekends with loads of Indie and if not there is a great little jukebox!

Also has the worst smelling toilets in Dublin! So bad.....it's good!! Great great pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

I second the recommendation for Carnival, they'd good music on the last time I was in there (though you're right about the toilet, and it's been that bad since the place was called DA2 - how have they not had a health inspector or something shut the place down?). There's also the Antics indie club night in Crawdaddy if you want an alternative to Whelans, but I think that's on either Wednesday or Thursday nights, not weekends..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ILikeHobgoblin

Whelans is top drawer for tunes but I would agree with the ladz that the clientele, of late, would turn you off a bit.
    It is worth checking out though as most of the time its grand and sure if your not content its only a skip across the road to either Anseo or Carnival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

I've always found that there's more snobbery surrounding Whelans than you'll actually find in the place itself. Would tend to head there during the week mostly myself, the concentration of so-called c*nts goes up at the weekend (or so I've found).

Afraid I'll have to go against PiE and recommend you run a mile from Fibbers, but maybe that's just me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

I'd def recommend Doyles more for Friday night than Saturday.

It's a bit charty on Sat.

Also Antics is on Wed, Without doubt the best indie night in the city.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭speedy21

Q+A is a great indie night...
    Its on now and then in the Temple Bar Music Centre...
    Gets a packed crowd of 600+ every time - cracking atmosphere...
    The next one is on Friday March 9th

It gets a v mixed crowd (gay, straight, bi, wotever) - & is well worth checking out...

Here's a blurb on the next night

--->

The club as usual will play the latest indie tunes along with the classics that never fail to rock the dance floor.

Anticipation is high after the last Q+A night sold out and disappointed late comers were turned away.

This time around the club is celebrating the release of three hot new albums from Kaiser Chiefs, CSS and Arcade Fire.

There will be prizes galore on offer including CDs, concert tickets and promotional items.

To combat queues there will be extra queue-jump tickets on sale at the pre-party which will be held in GUBU on Capel Street from 8pm, which as always is a great way to kick start your night before the main event.

There will also be discount vouchers available at the pre-party (when the queue-jump tickets sell out) plus the usual drinks promos, competitions and cool music.

For more information check out the website on www.queerandalternative.com or join us on bebo at queerandalternative2.bebo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Went to Pravda Saturday night and thought the music was pretty damn good. Think its one of Royseven whos DJ'ing. Not sure if this is a regular thing or not but if it is then GO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Don't forget Phantasm is back this Thur in Whelans....with Neosupervital on the bill too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Went to Pravda Saturday night and thought the music was pretty damn good. Think its one of Royseven whos DJ'ing. Not sure if this is a regular thing or not but if it is then GO!

Its one of the guys from Jape

Advertisement