Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate: Fun vs. Drama

Options
  • 10-02-2007 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I've seen this topic come up in some form or another in nearly every thread: It's time it got is own.

The poll is Up. And now my personal response.

If Stargate stayed the way it did in the first season, it wouldn't have ever survived. In fact if I have my facts straight, it didn't: It would've died there and then but I think RDA picked it up in some capacity and began to turn it around. I'm always going to remember it as The Day He Dropped The Happy Grenades :) (Season 2 Premiere)

From then the series has won wide acclaim: not just for its interesting new and old takes on Sci-Fi but for not being afraid to break the Mold; mix the drama with a bit of wit.
    RDA: So, you're in the network? Why don't you just do a search for their weakspot or something?

Daniel: Under what, Achilles?!

Try that in BSG. Try that now. GO. See what happens. Your audience goes wtf. I like BSG because its serious and dark. Thats what hooked me during the miniseries was the sheer volume of darknessnessness...it was epic. But that was never how Stargate was meant to be.

True, Stargate has always had a "THE WORLD IS F*CKED THE WORLD IS F*CKED" kinda plotline but thats not what drove it: less of course you're talking about Jackson: that guy can really pull off dramatical.
    Still, the Show's about Funny. Even in the latest episode of Daniel doing drama stuff: the best bit still manages to be the humor play between him and RDA.

And come on: Episode 200? Team Stargate? Make it Spin? I vote Funny hoorah.

So: what makes Stargate a success? Funny or Drama? 9 votes

Funny
    0% 0 votes
    Both in near-equal merit
    11% 1 vote
    Neither
    77% 7 votes
    Drama
    11% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I agree Stargate started off too serious, but I think there is a deffinate relation between the rise and fall in the quality of the show and the increased efforts to make it funnier.
    From season two to season 6 the show got gradually better as it was made more and more comedic, and I will admit the whit was there too. After season 7 though it just became too much forced laughs, it just turned to trash IMHO... there are some good episodes thrown in there but the majority are rubbish. The intro of Vala officially marked the end of any whit too as she provides the main comic thrust in a horribly cheap and crass manner.
    Every character, apart from Carter who seems to be there for the others to bounce crappy jokes off of, is trying to be a comedian and none of them are particularly good at it. RDA, the only person on the show who could genuinely act from what I can tell, is waaaaaaay past it now and he looks like some weird plastic retarded robot any time we see him now.
    In short, season one - too serious, seasons 2-6 getting closer to the right balance of funny/serious, season 7 - very good, seasons 8-10- farce, forced, rubbish.

Advertisement