Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QCA Question

Options
  • 10-02-2007 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

I am in 4th year. My cumulative QCA last year was 3.12.

This semester I got 3.56 for the semester.

What should my current QCA be?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

QCA is worked out with some sort of Voodoo formula.

Nobody has no idea how it actually works, and were at the mercy of the program that works it out for us.

At a guess I'd imagine your QCA would be around the 3.2 - 3.3 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'd never even seen what the QCA was until I saw my results. Had absolutely no idea about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

To work out your QCA, what you need to do is mix a bit of pepper with some Lucozade. Shake it wildly for 37.8906664 seconds (this bit needs to be precise) and then guzzle it back.

Now for the tricky bit.

Get a calculator, tap in some random figures and divide by each module code twice before multiplying by the number of vodkas you had last semester. Then, estimate the average age of your lecturers and subtract the average age of your TAs. Add this figure to the total you got earlier.

Subtract the number of lectures/labs/tutorials/whatever you missed last semester.

Subtract the number of lectures/labs/tutorials/whatever you dozed off in.

Subtract the number of lectures/labs/tutorials/whatever you failed to take any notes in.

Subtract the number of lectures/labs/tutorials/whatever you congratulated yourself for turning up for despite the fact that you were too hungover to take the blindest bit of notice of what was going on.

Lectures/labs/tutorials/whatever at 9am are doubly weighted. So multiply these numbers by two.

At this point you need to take a break: leave your desk at the library with all your papers spread out and yellow highlighter. Go to Stables. Engage in the consumption of two pints. Return to library four hours later.

Look at page and wonder what the hell? Come up with some sort of way of explaining your current figure to yourself.

Then, for this semester's results, for each A shout hip hip hooray, for each B shout woohoo, for each C shout boo yeah, and for each successive grade that passes you grin smugly at yourself.

Tap in a few more random figures into calculator. Do a bit of dividing and multiplying by 2.

The end result is your QCA.

Alternatively, I think the online student records should show your accumulative QCA. Your QCA for this semester is called 'session QCA' and your overall QCA is 'accumulated QCA'. Maybe call into Student Academic Admin (i.e. call in and join the queue) if you're still unsure.

Congrats on your results anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

No-one can tell based on the information you've given. Leaving aside the hilarity of some of the replies, QCA is quite easy to work out in your head or on paper but additional information would need to be given, viz. the number of modules you've done in total, the number of modules you did last term (cumulative QCA isn't done on a term by term average, it's worked out based on the cumulative weighted average from all the modules you've done), whether your course has a 1:2:2 weighting or a 1:1:2 weighting, the respective weightings of the modules you've actually done.

It'll take about thirty seconds if you provide all the grades you've received and the course you're doing to ascertain what the course weighting is, and ideally the weightings for the modules but you mightn't want that on a public forum so you can PM them to me if you really need to know. Alternatively the si system presumably has an entry for current QCA which would save the bother of adding and dividing. I'm not a fan of adding and dividing where someone else or a machine is willing to do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Voila :)

Hope it helps some, used for our BSc in CS.

Plonk in the values into the form is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

What happens when you go on CoOp, does it do anything for your QCA or does it stay the same?

Co-op is just a pass/fail.

Must pass it to progress afaik but it has no value wrt yer QCA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

cooperguy wrote:
    What happens when you go on CoOp, does it do anything for your QCA or does it stay the same?

Co-op is just pass/fail. Passing involves showing up for work and submitting some form of a 'report' (that is never read) at the end of it all, written during your last few days at work, printed on work paper using work printer and bound at work using work stationary. It doesn't affect QCA - if you pass, you just get the credits assigned.

I was reading up the student handbook, what's this president's letter you get if you get a QCA of >3.5?

Funkstard wrote:
    I was reading up the student handbook, what's this president's letter you get if you get a QCA of >3.5?

A letter from the president congratulating you on being a book worm.

• Advertisement

Are they rare? Ie. do you know many people who have received them?

Funkstard wrote:
    Are they rare? Ie. do you know many people who have received them?

Well, I know 3 people off hand that have received them.
    One guy in the house has gotten one each semester since he started.
    Poxy **** :p jk!

tbh, a 3.5+ QCA isn't that hard to attain imo with more than a little work.

kaimera wrote:
    tbh, a 3.5+ QCA isn't that hard to attain imo with more than a little work.

Which is why *your* QCA is flying high isn't it :rolleyes: :p

Peteee wrote:
    Which is why *your* QCA is flying high isn't it :rolleyes: :p

Yore not one to talk tbqfh given you needed *our* help to get thru more than one exam so fu.

and I said
    with more than a little work.

I know I didn't do as much as I should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Iammwa

Well my girlfriend got 3.9 last semester and 3.7 this semester so that leaves her with a current QCA of 3.8...

You just add up all the results and divide by the number of results you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

Just wondering can anyone help me with this, in final year and took a module this semester with a 40% assignment and a 60% assignment. I received my feedback sheets from the lecturer which state that i got a b2 in the 40% assignment and a b1 in the 60% assignment yet my overall grade was a b2. I was certain it should be a b1 overall when averaged between the two. anyone care to shed light on this or am i just a mathematical dunce, before i go sending a rage filled email at the lecturer! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

That's annoyingly unlucky.

Imagine the leaving cert grade bands (B1= 84-80 B2= 79-75)
    What you got: B1=80 B2=76

60% of 80=48
    40% of 76=30.4
    Total=78.4=B2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Iammwa wrote: »
    Well my girlfriend got 3.9 last semester and 3.7 this semester so that leaves her with a current QCA of 3.8...

You just add up all the results and divide by the number of results you have.

nope

thats not correct im afraid it works from one semester to the next but it wont work when you are trying to work out all the years together because 1st year dosnt count, 2nd year is worth less than 3rd year and 3rd year is worth less than 4th year

kaimera you think you could figure something out like the xls you posted earlier but that you put in what you have so far and you put in the qca your aiming for and it tells you what you need to get?

unlikely but its worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Iammwa

PeakOutput wrote: »
    1st year dosnt count, 2nd year is worth less than 3rd year and 3rd year is worth less than 4th year
    Wow... didn't know that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Iammwa wrote: »
    Wow... didn't know that...

Yep 2nd, 3rd and 4th year can be weighted differently e.g. 1:1:2 or 1:2:2

Computer Systems was 1:1:2 from what I remember with the FYP modules making up the extra weighting in 4th year.

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    nope

thats not correct im afraid it works from one semester to the next but it wont work when you are trying to work out all the years together because 1st year dosnt count, 2nd year is worth less than 3rd year and 3rd year is worth less than 4th year

kaimera you think you could figure something out like the xls you posted earlier but that you put in what you have so far and you put in the qca your aiming for and it tells you what you need to get?

unlikely but its worth a try
    I actually didn't put together the excel doc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ulload

anyone know to calculate ur qca?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

ulload wrote: »
    anyone know to calculate ur qca?
    Obvious trolling, nothing to see here lads. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

whats the difference between session qca and Accumulated qca?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    whats the difference between session qca and Accumulated qca?
    Session is per semester and accumulated is the combined. I think that's it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Daniel S wrote: »
    Session is per semester and accumulated is the combined. I think that's it anyway.

Well if that's true, woo hoo!

Advertisement