Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zeros and ones

Options
  • 10-02-2007 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Any humanoid here know how the DHD or over sized tauri dialing computer is connected to the chapai. Is their a physical connection or is it like the modern stargates that you can buy in Argos and uses radio waves.

If it is a physical connection, where on the chapai is it, and why has it not been damaged while been buried in Egypt for Millenia.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

I think it has wi-fi :p

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its something to do with the clamps I think. Thats wat makes it spin (cos its round and I want it to spin) In the movie they explained it was for seismic dampening...which doesnt happen on ANY other gate....

For that matter; in eps where the DHD is non-present or disabled; how does manual dialing work, and why do they not do this all the time? Besides the convenience of a keyboard, obviously..

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Overheal wrote:
    Its something to do with the clamps I think. Thats wat makes it spin (cos its round and I want it to spin) In the movie they explained it was for seismic dampening...which doesnt happen on ANY other gate....

For that matter; in eps where the DHD is non-present or disabled; how does manual dialing work, and why do they not do this all the time? Besides the convenience of a keyboard, obviously..

They literally just wrestle the ring around, locking each sybmol into place. Watching them do it makes it clear why they would want to use a dhd

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

When there brer suffiecent enought charge the outer part of the exterior ring releases. This give a suffecently buff enought person the option of dialing theu ri9ng manually.

Should pay attention to previous episodses.

how the hell does the phone pad communiate with the anulas. EM spectrum is most likely.

McGarnicle what I meant was to say yes physical spin it sure grand then charge the chevrons in turn; but it has been mentioned a few times that the DHD provides a lot of the functionality: alot of the safety protocols are operated by it (which is why oh so many episodes are revolved around the SGC doing something stupid because they jury-rigged a knock-off DHD).

So my Question stands: how are they able to dial without a lot (if not all) of this 'software' in place? In the episodes concerning the correlation updates even; its been the DHD that was accessed. It seems like its vital for even gate adresses to function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Could be possible that after the DHD has calculated the equations for stellar drift and the likes that it updates the stargate. Kinda like programable rom.

So by doing a manual dial, would be the same as using the DHD provided that it had updated the Chapai recently.

~Wonder if there is any gates on "Dark matter planets"? Or maybe their is a whole network of gates that even use dark energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

somuj wrote:
    Could be possible that after the DHD has calculated the equations for stellar drift and the likes that it updates the stargate. Kinda like programable rom.

I know that much has been confirmed, it's part of the reason they come in a gate/DHD combo.

Overheal wrote:
    So my Question stands: how are they able to dial without a lot (if not all) of this 'software' in place? In the episodes concerning the correlation updates even; its been the DHD that was accessed. It seems like its vital for even gate adresses to function.

I think at the start of SG1, the only planet they were able to contact was abydos, because of it's proximity to earth, they needed the list of gate addresses on abydos to work out the stellar drift.

So it is possible to dial an address without a DHD, it'll just be using the last co ordinates that were given to it by the DHD [i'd imagine the DHD as a wrapper around the stargate itself, the stargate does all the grunt work, but the DHD keeps it's information relivant and has all manner of safeguards to stop people doing silly things], but over time the information would become out of date and less and less gate adresses would function.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

There's a usb slot in the back of it, just as there is in all ancient machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

"Magnets."

Wikipedia has all this documented actually....go check it out :p

DHD does not have to be present but does house safeties and stellar drift bla bla. Earth still prefers the computer as a) they have it now nearly as fast as a dhd and b) the computer provides tons of diagnostics that come in dead handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement