Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copying an operating system

Options
  • 10-02-2007 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Can i copy my operating system from my IDE hard drive to my SATA hard drive in the same computer so that my pc will run from my sata hard drive so that i can remove my ide hard drive.
    i have files stored on my sata hard drive. Would those files be lost by copying the operating system over.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What OS ?

Dos//95/98 won't care I'd think
    NT - can you even get sata drivers ?
    2000/XP probably have to install the driver first
    But XP will get snotty about being on a different hardware / volume / disk ID
    Vista Retail should be OK
    with windows server you can software mirror the drive - with the other versions you may need some cloning software and possibly sysprep tool

Other OS's may differ, but in general up to date versions aren't quite as picky as windows about minor hardware changes once you preinstall the driver

all the above assumes the SATA is indeed the boot drive afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aty

What OS ?

Dos//95/98 won't care I'd think
    NT - can you even get sata drivers ?
    2000/XP probably have to install the driver first
    But XP will get snotty about being on a different hardware / volume / disk ID
    Vista Retail should be OK
    with windows server you can software mirror the drive - with the other versions you may need some cloning software and possibly sysprep tool

Other OS's may differ, but in general up to date versions aren't quite as picky as windows about minor hardware changes once you preinstall the driver

all the above assumes the SATA is indeed the boot drive afterwards

I believe this guy is using windows family, not updated to vista, possibly XP home edition, so the answer will be 'impossible' at home simply. for some OS expert, i do think, they will make some configure and registry thingy after clone it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i would say clone the drive, if it wont boot do a repair install of xp to get it to boot again

always works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

I'd imagine the easiest way would be to pre-install the SATA drivers as Capt says, while the OS is on the IDE drive. To test I suppose, you should be able to access the SATA disk and format it etc. etc.

If that all goes well, then a straightforward clone using Ghost or Acronis from A to B, re-jig the boot device in the BIOS to put the SATA drive higher in the boot order and power on. Just to be sure it is booting from the SATA disk, maybe temporarily disconnect the IDE for a while - just to be sure.

Advertisement