Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large amount transfer from the US

Options
  • 09-02-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

What's the most cost effective way of transferring a few hundred thousand from the US to here?

Any notifications needed for the revenue commissioners, etc?

It's for an american citizen living here.

TIA

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well I know if you transfer over $10,000 from the Ireland to the US, you have to report it to the IRS. Did you check the Revenue website? Perhaps there is a similar rule, will try and find some info.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Any notifications needed for the revenue commissioners, etc?

I hate to suggest the obvious, but ask the Revenue directly. They're normally quite good at these sort of things..get a number from their website for your local office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

I'd expect that anyhoo, but was more interested in the most cost effective way of doing it.

A 0.5% difference in rates, for example would mean approx. a 2.5K difference in the cost of transfer.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

am currently in the process of transfering a large amount to the U.K and found that I will save a couple of grand by using travelex, i think they might do it to an irish bank also

Advertisement