Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM question

Options
  • 09-02-2007 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

I have 512mb x 2 in my system now. Total = 1gb.

My mate has some ram he can give me, but Im not sure what to do.

He has 512x2 & 1024.

Should I take the 512x2 and have 512x4 running in parallel. Total = 2gb.

Or should I Take 512x1 and 1024x1, giving me 512x3 & 1024x1. Total = 2.5gb.

I realise the advantages of having matched ram, but would the performance difference be worth having less ram?

Regards all, Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Nice situation to be in , pleanty of ram available , but theres a little more to it than you posted , what is the speed of the ram available , do they exactly match yours ?

If so then take the 2 512's , if either the 512 or the 1024 dont match the speed of your ram then take the one that does !!

If neither is a direct match for the speed of your ram , then in theory the system should run at the slowest ram speed , but this can cause issues and make the system unstable , it depends on your motherboard , so if neither is a direct match for your ram then it might make more sense to say no thanks and look for a direct match.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

All the ram is DDR400. Simple as. Great mobo. K8N Platinum. Will take up to 4gb. Latency aint a big deal.

So... 4 paired of 2gb, or 3+1 of 2.5gb.

Again, thanks all, Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

is it a sockect 754 or 939?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭ando

512 * 4 imo if their all going at same speeds ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

yeah go for the 512x4

Advertisement