Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will I HAVE to upgrade my computer?

Options
  • 09-02-2007 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some insight from maybe some people in the know. I mean at current my system plays every game I throw at it at full settings at 1280x1024. But I see so many people jumping off the sinking 939 socket onto C2D like the worlds ending tomorrow. I'm just wondering will my rig last another year of gaming? I mean, when the dust settles on DX10 and the prices for an 8800GTX are reasonable around Q2 - Q3'07, will I need to do a complete system rebuild to play DX10 games? Or will my system in my rig, at the clocks its at atm, survive another year of games?

I'm planning on ONLY going to Vista and getting a DX10 card as soon as a DX10 game is released that I want to play, i'll also give it a few months after release to make sure that any patchs/drivers are released.

The only real games i'm looking forward to are Crysis, Project Offset and Stalker. Crysis being the only official DX10 release known so far, and expected around Q1'08.

So my question is, should I get out now, while skt 939 is worth something and I can sell it, or will my whole rig be legacy tech come this time next year? Does anyone know how well the likes of dual core and quad core are going to be supported in software in the coming year? Will any games actually be multithreaded to make use of 4 cores even in 2 years?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

UT3 will use DX10 afaik. It also makes use of 4 cores (though only partially for 2 cores). Most software will remain single threaded with games and video processing being noteable exceptions.

I'm sure your opty will work just fine for the next year. It's probably equivalent to an e6600 (at a guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah my opteron @ 3Ghz would be just about as good as a stock e6600. I'm not concerned about performance differences though, i'm more concerned about what i'll "need" to play games. Will just grafting in a DX10 card into my system be enough when DX10 games get released?

Advertisement