Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston to Cork train

Options
  • 09-02-2007 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

hi,

any ideas what time i need to start queueing to be guaranteed a seat on the 5pm heuston to cork train next week?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Why don't you reserve your seat online? www.irishrail.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Why not book online and reserve a seat.

www.irishrail.ie via the reservations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

pleba wrote:
    hi,

any ideas what time i need to start queueing to be guaranteed a seat on the 5pm heuston to cork train next week?

Thanks

There is a total of 7no. 5pm trains to Cork next week. You mean Friday?

Concur with the 2 above posters. Reserve online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

oops yep meant Friday.
    with the type of ticket I have it works out too expensive to pay the extra to reserve a seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

There is no charge to reserve a seat, student, weekender, faircard are available online

If you have a pre existing ticket the only current option is to pay the supplement to go first class

Show up 20 minutes before departure and find the first seat with a bag on it and demand its removal, alternatively get into coach C or D and find a seat which hasn't been reserved, that of course only holds when the electronic reservations are working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Iób

If you're travelling from say Bray or Dundalk or wherever to connect at Heuston, you can't book the ticket online.

And if you buy your ticket in person, you can't reserve a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

I&#243 wrote: »
    If you're travelling from say Bray or Dundalk or wherever to connect at Heuston, you can't book the ticket online.

And if you buy your ticket in person, you can't reserve a seat.

Incorrect.

You can book the ticket on-line and reserve seat(s) on trains which have reserved seating available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Reserving a seat is fine in theory. I reserved a first class seat on the Heuston-Waterford train a few days before Christmas. They didn't bother to put a first class carriage on the train! I wouldn't have faith in them actually having your seat available standard class so you'll still have to turn up early.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Reserving a seat is fine in theory. I reserved a first class seat on the Heuston-Waterford train a few days before Christmas. They didn't bother to put a first class carriage on the train! I wouldn't have faith in them actually having your seat available standard class so you'll still have to turn up early.

Any time I have booked my seat on-line I have had no trouble but I would suspect like any new system teething problems do occur from time to time and the reserved coach wouldn't be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Iób

enterprise wrote:
    Incorrect.

You can book the ticket on-line and reserve seat(s) on trains which have reserved seating available.

Hmmm,
    I've just checked the on-line ticketing, and it's even more weird than I thought. I was incorrect in respect of Bray and Dundalk, but I am correct in respect of Shankill and Kilbarrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I&#243 wrote: »
    I was incorrect in respect of Bray and Dundalk,
    Intercity stations.
    but I am correct in respect of Shankill and Kilbarrack.
    DART / Suburban stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

If you book a seat in first and end up in second or in second and end up standing you are entitled to a full refund and it will be issued

If you are on the Westport train and find a first class coach sit in it since the train is not listed as having first class all seats on the train are considered standard class as a result. You wont find a option to book first to Westport online. I've taken advantage of Irish Rail's laziness by managing to travel in first with a reservation at standard class prices there is a error in IE booking system on a certain service which allows it once you pick one of a certain 8 standard class seats as if by magic they become first class seats on the train.

The OP had asked about Dublin Cork where seat booking works, there is no point booking a seat to Waterford or indeed Westport/Galway since management have decided not to make any effort to enforce reservations on those routes priority is given to Cork/Tralee and Limerick and you will find staff in yellow t shirts on those route to direct you

The computer end of the system works its the total laziness of management and staff on the ground which prevents it from working. I've challenged members of staff as to extract the passenger out of my seat and been told it was too much hassle

You can book in person at Heuston, Connolly, Abbey Street Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk all stations Portarlington Cork, Galway, Limerick, Tralee, Killarney, Athlone and a long list of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

Hi all

Thanks for the responses. I got to the station at 4:10pm on Friday and was about 20 people from the front of the queue. Just as well cos within about 5 to 10 minutes it got very very long. Apart from having to queue, the journey was really comfortable. Those new trains are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

pleba wrote:
    Hi all

Thanks for the responses. I got to the station at 4:10pm on Friday and was about 20 people from the front of the queue. Just as well cos within about 5 to 10 minutes it got very very long. Apart from having to queue, the journey was really comfortable. Those new trains are great!

They made a fair balls of it friday. there was some mess up with the prepaid machines so everyone who had reserved tickets still had to queue for tickets. got to top of queue very close to 5. they closed gated in front of me but luckily i had reserved ticket so i got on. phew!

Advertisement