Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for trad music...

Options
  • 08-02-2007 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I'd appreciate any suggestions for "classic" trad albums.

I like lively reels such as you'd hear from Danú. I also love guitar and flute together.

Any one know of a list of classic albums anywhere on the net?

Thanks,
    Noel.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Check out the Bothy Band. if you don't know them. If you like it "lively", you should be happy. The first time I heard it I was first :eek: then :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Oink wrote:
    Check out the Bothy Band. if you don't know them. If you like it "lively", you should be happy. The first time I heard it I was first :eek: then :D:D
    Thanks Oink. I have "Old hag you have killed me" which I haven't listened to in a good while. Very good as far as I can remember. Time to dust it
    off and give it a spin I think :)

Thanks
    Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 flates

If you like Trad music check out a band called Slide. I saw them play support with Damien Dempsey and they were amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 alliekatt

Your best and most infectiously cool classic trad is, in my opinion, Planxty. I love Planxty. All the hottest trad bands exported overseas because they're tight or well put together still doesn't combine with the pure sound that is Planxty. Of course the Bothies come a close second only because it has Planxty players!!! The period between 1970 and 1980 was the heyday of the trad revival. It's become pretty hot and tight studio sounds now, but back then there was, in my opinion, a bit more passion. But that's just me. :)

alliekatt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

alliekatt wrote:
    Your best and most infectiously cool classic trad is, in my opinion, Planxty. I love Planxty. All the hottest trad bands exported overseas because they're tight or well put together still doesn't combine with the pure sound that is Planxty. Of course the Bothies come a close second only because it has Planxty players!!! The period between 1970 and 1980 was the heyday of the trad revival. It's become pretty hot and tight studio sounds now, but back then there was, in my opinion, a bit more passion. But that's just me. :)

alliekatt
    Thanks Alliekatt, which album would you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm not a huge fan of trad, but I recently picked up a copy of Sheridan's Guesthouse which is the debut album of Dave Sheridan and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. It's well worth a listen.

Advertisement