Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem With HDD

Options
  • 08-02-2007 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭

I put the HDD from my old machine into my new machine, it had an OS on it but I didn't try to boot to it, After I formatted it, it only shows a total size of 29gigs, it should be 200!! Any ideas on whats gone on with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Did you format it in Windows (like is it your second hard drive)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Yes it's a second one and i formatted it in windows, the file system is showing as fat32 now not ntfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Go to Start->Run->diskmgmt.msc and see if the drive is listed there and what it is showing up as.

If you want to convert to NTFS you can use the below command.

Start->Run->cmd

In the command prompt window, type: convert D: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

I'm not on that PC now but I'll give it a go later.. thanks Ruu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Onkle wrote:
    Yes it's a second one and i formatted it in windows, the file system is showing as fat32 now not ntfs
    The problem is a FAT32 partition is limited to 32GB (which seems to end up being only 29GB useable in your case). Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc or go to Computer Management in the Control Panel) gives you options to choose how to format it - you need to format it in NTFS.

If there's nothing on it, you don't need to convert it like what Ruu said.

• Advertisement

I went into disk managment, the missing part of the disk shows up as unallocated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Right click and press delete partition.. then right click again and press new partition and follow the prompts and enter the full disk size to use all of the disc.
    Follow the prompts and choose to format it with ntfs and you can tick the quick format box so it will only take a few minutes
    Edit: Bear in mind this deletes all data on the disc.

Advertisement