Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering Outlook mail

Options
  • 08-02-2007 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭

I recently had to format my lappie but I had everything on it backed up first thankfully.
    I want to restore the mail that is in the Outlook "inbox" and "sent items" from the Outlook account from the backed up file.
    I have the Outlook data file from the backup. It's extension is "Outlook Office Data File" and it's about 8 MB in size so I assume all my mail is in there.
    After I formatted the laptop I reinstalled Outlook (it's a 2002 version) and tried importing this file from Outlook itself.
    I went to "File-New-Outlook Data File" and then I go to the location where the Outlook Data File is. But it says:
    "The file C:\Outlook.pst it is not compatible with this version of the Personal Folders information service."

There is a program called "Outlook Recovery ToolBox" that recovers Outlook mail and I d'loaded a trial version but it only recovers the first 5 messages of one folder.
    The full version recovers everything but it is $50. Is there an alternative (ie free) way of getting my mail back?
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kasparov

Have you tried going into 'Mail' in 'Control panel' and selecting 'Data Files', and add c:\outlook.pst to the list, rather than trying to import it as such. It may do the same thing, but it's another roundabout way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The PST could be slightly corrupt - they like to break themselves :)

There's the Inbox Repair Tool that comes with Office - "scanpst.exe" - in some really convuluted hard to find place - I think it's somewhere in \Program Files\Common Files. That should do the trick. Maybe.

Are you using the same version of Outlook you were before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

The PST could be slightly corrupt - they like to break themselves :)

There's the Inbox Repair Tool that comes with Office - "scanpst.exe" - in some really convuluted hard to find place - I think it's somewhere in \Program Files\Common Files. That should do the trick. Maybe.

Are you using the same version of Outlook you were before?

Yeah that's what's weird about it. I'll try what you said anyway.

Advertisement