Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which bank is the best

Options
  • 08-02-2007 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

I am looking to move all my banking from BOI to another bank - any bank!! Can anyone recommend a bank and reasons for using them?

I hear PTSB and Ulster Bank are pretty good.

Also when moving to a new bank - will your new bank take care of everything or do I need to physically go in to my bank and request the change too?

(Ohh - and how long does it normally take?)

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Best bank? = How long is a piece of string?

Are you looking for day-to-day current account banking? How much so you hope to pay in each month and will you be keeping your balance above a certain amount of euro every month?

Do you want a high-interest savings account? Do you want an offset mortgage that links your mortgage to your account balance?

Sorry for all the questions, but the answer really depends on what you want your account (your money!) to do for you.

Usually your new bank helps you with everything but you have to keep a close eye on all of your direct debits as sometimes they do go AWOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I have had nothing but problems with Ulster Bank from applications going missing to being misinformed numerous times over the phone. The only plus I can imagine is the no fee's banking which is alright I suppose. I'm currently with Ulster Bank but will be moving shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ulster Bank have been great.. only problem i ever had was the lack of printed statements being sent out.

PTSB will sort out most stuff for you they say!

If it helps, I'm with AIB in Ireland. Always friendly, courteous, never messed me around-ish...paid back overcharged fees to the tune of €65 :D

They do have 'free' banking but you need to use your ATM card once a month and do at least one online transaction iirc.

My only problem with Ulster Bank was that at the age of 25 I asked them in writing to change my account name title from Master to Mr. Two months later I got a statement addressed to "Master..." When I got my PhD I wrote again asking for statements to be changed to "Dr.". Six months later I got a statement addressed to "Master...".
    Two days later I closed the account with the reply to their "Why?" question that if they can't take a simple instruciton in writing how could I trust them? :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've been with AIB since a nipper and have always found them good. I think the 'free' banking conditions are a little stupid with so little having to be done to get it, they may as well give it as standard. I have one current account with a 5 figure sum that I use only for cheques, yet because I don't have a laser card it gets charged bank fees.

That aside tho', they are very efficent at a branch level and have no problems doing anything I need. I remember about 4 years ago myself and my wife were putting a deposit down on a house and we were pooling our money to get a draft together. I got €5,000 cash out from AIB with no problem, yet when my wife went to get €4,000 cash out from her BOI account, they actually said they wouldn't have enough money and we should have rang ahead. After a couple of WTF? moments he said he would do it but we had to wait about 20 minutes. He actually said to us at one point 'Are you sure you want to be taking out that much money?', talk about belittling the customer.

On a sidenote, AIB are going to be giving interest on current accounts from March, T&C's apply of course, but it seems like a good extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I hate to tempt fate but I've been with BOI since I was 17-now 29- never had any probs, always found them very nice and no hassle. My flatmate is with Ulster Bank and has had untold hassle about different things. Although I think it might be partly her own fault as she refuses to learn how to use the internet and online banking, which in my opinion, is the best thing ever!

missmatty wrote:
    I hate to tempt fate but I've been with BOI since I was 17-now 29- never had any probs, always found them very nice and no hassle.

In fairness the OP is looking to move all his banking from BOI, so moving from BOI to BOI doesn't exactly make any sense :D

As for myself and the gf, we both closed our BOI accounts (separately to one another) because of staff rudeness and other issues. I actually had two BOI accounts held in different branches and closed both because the staff in both branches were very abrupt and rude. It seemed to me that because I was a student I wasn't important.

That's the other problem you're going to have OP. Anecdotal evidence! Both missmatty and I have completely different experiences of BOI so listening to peoples accounts can provide conflicting evidence/opinon. I suggest you look at the rates and ease of banking when making your decision and then visit the branches on your shortlist to see what type of reception the ordinary customer gets ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

r3nu4l wrote:
    In fairness the OP is looking to move all his banking from BOI, so moving from BOI to BOI doesn't exactly make any sense :D

Why not? differnet branch, different staff. Lots of people do it. Mind you, you can do the vast majority of your banking at pretty much any branch so it shouldnt really matter where your account is.

As for myself and the gf, we both closed our BOI accounts (separately to one another) because of staff rudeness and other issues. I actually had two BOI accounts held in different branches and closed both because the staff in both branches were very abrupt and rude. It seemed to me that because I was a student I wasn't important.

You should have complained to the manager. Staff only get away with being rude because customers let them. If enough people complain, person gets fired. Simple solution

That's the other problem you're going to have OP. Anecdotal evidence! Both missmatty and I have completely different experiences of BOI so listening to peoples accounts can provide conflicting evidence/opinon. I suggest you look at the rates and ease of banking when making your decision and then visit the branches on your shortlist to see what type of reception the ordinary customer gets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

A recommendation for National Irish here. Been with them since I was a lad, not a single problem. Their freebank has been around since before the rest of them jumped on the bandwagon and I've never been charged a cent in fees for anything. The recent takeover by the dutch group has upped the ante and their online service is now 10x better.

Cant believe people still go with AIB, they charge you the earth. That's the power of massive advertising I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 motorito

great board, great forum, great question.

On the same theme i would like ask.
    I'm new to Ireland and could you be so kind and tell me are there any difference where to open bank account and get laser or credit card?

I wish to have online banking and pay bills online, i wish to have a quite much cash machines around city and cash out for free or for some small fee.
    Are there any fees for taking cash from machines?

Thats all what my requirements are. And sorry if Q are stupid. its just what i had in my country.

Please help to find out how's banking here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

if you do internet banking a lot, from my experience own experience coupled with what i have heard from others, AIB has the best internet banking service at the moment.

i have internet banking with Ulster Bank also and it is not as easy to use or have as many features as AIB's one.

then there are also internet-only banks like RaboDirect, so it really depends what you value most from a bank i suppose that will depend whether it is the best for you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Rabo, while offering great interest, is only good for secondary savings or investment accounts, they don't do current accounts and offer none of the associated features, online billpay etc. But they are great if you don't want to leave too much money in your c/a.

PTSB is OK, not great, after the merger the number of staff in the branches seems to be markedly reduced if long queues are an indicator. Online banking is improving & easy to use, free banking requires a certain credit balance, their phone banking is excellent, call centre staff is extremely courteous and efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 motorito

At last, i have an account, or at least have registered for it. :)

The story looks like :
    I'm waiting for my PPS documents, still dont have them, i have no bills for utilities or agreement with landlord to provide at the bank.
    And only one thing what i could get very fast was a letter from employer.

On my way i visited Ulster bank. Letter was ok for them to open an account.
    But AIB is that bank what our office deals with. Got and advice try deal with them too. So went to AIB to check what documents and papers may i need to provide. Said letter from employer is enough as well.

I got standart letter from accountant and went to open account into same AIB branch office. With no luck they said "oh sorry its not enough or go to same office what my employer deals...(Donybrook) we can not open account for you with this letter. For fokseik! I have no time!
    Decided visit Permanent TSB (another on my way) and got letter on their name. It was easy - everything was perfect and I have signed papers. They even not asked for passport (ID card was enough). Thats was really cool.

Sorry for my english and thanks all advisors.

Will ask you MORE, later!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Elessar wrote:
    A recommendation for National Irish here. Been with them since I was a lad, not a single problem. Their freebank has been around since before the rest of them jumped on the bandwagon and I've never been charged a cent in fees for anything. The recent takeover by the dutch group has upped the ante and their online service is now 10x better.

Cant believe people still go with AIB, they charge you the earth. That's the power of massive advertising I guess.

AIB offers free banking as long as you use you maestro card and online banking at least once every 3 months (and who wouldn't want to?). Oh and they actually pay interest on your money (promo of 11% falling to 4%). That's as good as some savings accounts!

They also have far more branches, better online banking, more ATMs (I know you can use any ATM to withdraw, but you can do a lot more on your own bank's ATMs).

Oh, and they're Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I saw an ad in the newspaper recently for Ulster Bank offering people €150 to move their current account to them. So maybe that's worth considering.

Advertisement