Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.Y. own free website

Options
  • 08-02-2007 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

looking for a handy site to create own site, for free!Will basically be a gallery for a photographer,witha small bit of general info,and the all important contact details.

just basic, but not too elemental looking, believe you can copy the HTML, any advice? heard of a site but not able to spell it,jumlo jamlo,or am i a tad mad??:rolleyes:

Any tips HUGELY appreciated!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rosyposy

am cautious of downloading programmes onto my laptop though,personal experience or advice from people would be a huge help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

Anti wrote:

lmao

yep i know bout google:D , just greeted by a hail of sites,just lookin for a bit of direction

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if you're on eircom you already have 20mb webspace. i'm sure most of the other ISP's do the same. you can use that, get a .tk forwarding domain and away you go.

as far as designing goes, use google and look for open source templates, there's loads of them.

• Advertisement

get a .tk forwarding domain and away you go.

pretty nifty i never knew about them

cheers for replies,any advice on HTML copying?i stick it onto notepad,put in my bits,but does not work....am i doin somethin stooopid:rolleyes:

rosyposy wrote:
    cheers for replies,any advice on HTML copying?i stick it onto notepad,put in my bits,but does not work....am i doin somethin stooopid:rolleyes:

try using an editor that highlights the code, tags etc at least you might be able to spot something out of place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yes, you're copying and pasting it into Notepad with no understanding of it and expecting it to work.

Google some HTML tutorials, I recall the ones at HTMLGoodies being pretty good way back when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

w3schools has a load of tutorials on the basics.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think the program you were thinking of was Joomla!, which is basically a premade website that can be customised.

However, you'd need hosting with PHP and MySQL for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Yep, joomla is very handy, and I also now of a few hosting sites that have joomla included but none of the ones I know are free.

You could do what I did and host it yourself but you might need to know a bit more than the average user.

EDIT: If you do think about setting it yourself a handy program which goes well with joomla is xampp it installs apache web server and mysql and sets them up for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Google some HTML tutorials, I recall the ones at HTMLGoodies being pretty good way back when.

Google also have google pages, its basic but everyone got to start somewhere
    http://pages.google.com

Advertisement