Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 Audi A4 Brake Light issues

Options
  • 07-02-2007 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Does anyone know of any issues with 2005 Audi A4s where the brake lights come on all by themselves without anyone near the car.The only way to clear the problem is to go out & press the brake pedal - the only problem is they come back on again after some time.
    There is a 3 week wait time for the dealer to look at it, by which time I will have a flat battery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd imagine you have a faulty brake pedal switch. Your car may still be under Audi warranty so it may be worth waiting for the dealer to look at it. Just locate the brake light fuse and remove it when you are away from the car - just don't forget to put it back in before you drive off!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

That sounds like an odd one. It could be the switch but If it was I would imagine they would stay on not come on after you have parked it. It is easy enough to access the plug on the switch. Maybe you could unplug it and see if that cures it.

3 weeks wait for the dealer is not that unusual. You should be able to find a well equiped independent to look at it.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paddyhdj

Thanks for the replies guys

Got the repair fast-tracked after a word with a manager - turns out to be a faulty brake light switch as ye predicted.

Glad to hear you got it sorted - was it done under warranty?

• Advertisement

Sorry for the late reply - yes it was done under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

still sounds a bit odd that even the lights come on even with a faulty switch with the key removed?

if you take out the key now after its repaired and press on the brake pedal, do the lights come on? Never on any car I've ever owned does this happen?

Is it a new saftey feature on German cars? They do all have that feature that if you have the indicator in either position off the centre with teh key removed that front & back lights for that side stay on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Lex Luthor wrote:
    still sounds a bit odd that even the lights come on even with a faulty switch with the key removed?

if you take out the key now after its repaired and press on the brake pedal, do the lights come on? Never on any car I've ever owned does this happen?

Is it a new saftey feature on German cars? They do all have that feature that if you have the indicator in either position off the centre with teh key removed that front & back lights for that side stay on.

The brake lights operated in every car I've ever driven, even with the ignition off and key out. It's for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

just checked the 3 cars in my drive.

the 97 BMW and 00 Alfa - both brake lights don't come on with the key out and pressing the pedal however the 05 Toyota does. Is it just recent this has become the norm?

The brake lights on some cars will operate irrespective of the ignition switch. Others are ignition switch dependent. The former is the norm on the range of vehicles from the Volkswagen Group.

• Advertisement
Advertisement