Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Atheism on the radio

Options
  • 07-02-2007 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

Oh google ads work so this via al ink up there, whoever that guy is he got himself on radio

http://www.irishatheist.com/

organising athiest is like herding cats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Interesting.

I work with a radio station in Dublin and it makes me sick seeing the huge block of horrible religious programming that we have on a Sunday. It's mostly just idiots offering their interpretations of the bible.

I've been seriously considering trying to slip a Pastafarian programme in between them.

If anyone is interested in helping out then let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Interesting.

I work with a radio station in Dublin and it makes me sick seeing the huge block of horrible religious programming that we have on a Sunday. It's mostly just idiots offering their interpretations of the bible.

I've been seriously considering trying to slip a Pastafarian programme in between them.

If anyone is interested in helping out then let me know.

Just secure 30 minutes of athiest programming and play silence... ahhh

oh holy jaysus clarefm is going to go to hell for promoting atheism, peple talk about atheist arrogance listen to arrogance of the women Mary in the second part.

oh the a fair bit of discussion on the site well done for the efforts so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheCatHerder

oh the a fair bit of discussion on the site well done for the efforts so far
    Thank you :D

Yep, the ClareFM thing was fun. I’m the seamus who spoke about the site in part 3
    I insisted on only doing a pre-recorded interview, as I’m not the best at public speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fair play on getting atheist.ie! Gonna listen to those mp3s now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Fair play on the website, I'll give a read through it when I get the chance. The Clare Fm should be interesting. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Interestingly there is a complete ban on political, religious and trade union advertisements on Irish radio and TV*. I assume a literal reading of the law means this has no application to the atheist/agnostic view.

Atheist 1 Religion 0.

*The political ban won't last long imo (because of recent ECHR rulings).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well there is a quasi-national religious radio station in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

RADIO AND TELEVISION ACT, 1988 SECTION 10

(3) No advertisement shall be broadcast which is directed towards any religious or political end or which has any relation to an industrial dispute.

And there has been a lot of litigation surrounding it so its hardly an innocous piece of legislation. The Government have had to defend it many times in court. I do remember hearing about that station but never thought of its implications. Wonder if this is a change of heart? Maybe there will still be a ban when the ads don't relate directly to programmes (as there is an obligation of presenting both sides on broadcasters). They might read the programmes as not for religious ends as they give both sides...

Who knows though.

Advertisement