Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cummuting to Blanchardstown - advice?

Options
  • 07-02-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I just got myself a job in Blanchardstown and am currently thinking of moving to Rathmines.I need my car for the job so buses and trains etc are out of the question. Has/Does anyone drive this journey and if so what kind of commuting time can I expect? Should I forget the Rathmines idea and concentrate on somewhere Northside of the city or is it possible to go along the canal towards the Phoenix Park and on with my journey?

Any help appreciated...Thanks!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shibby

Hi,

I just got myself a job in Blanchardstown and am currently thinking of moving to the city from Kildare - possibly Rathmines. I need my car for the job so buses and trains etc are out of the question. Has/Does anyone drive this journey and if so what kind of commuting time can I expect? Should I forget the Rathmines idea and concentrate on somewhere Northside of the city or is it possible to go along the canal towards the Phoenix Park and on with my journey? My partner works on the southside so we are are trying to find a happy balance...:confused:

Any help appreciated...Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If your partner works near a DART station then you might consider looking for a place on the Maynooth train line and get the commuter train to town and DART to final destination. Such a location would probably give you a reasonable commute.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It will be a nightmare unless you leave Rathmines at around 6:30,Blanch is crazy in the mornings and you will have to cross the city.
    It iwll take you hours at any sensible hour of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Nasty commute!! Best route would be south circular road towards inchicore/kilmainham then take the Phoenix Park towards castleknock. You can then go on to N3, most traffic is heading in to city so outbound will not be so bad. If its blanch villiage you can stay on through castleknock but its usually hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Whereabouts in Kildare are you living? A commute to Blanch isnt the worst in the world, I currently start work at 8 in the morning if I leave Celbridge at 7 im in work by half past and if I leave at 7:10 i'm usually in work by 7:50am or so (always get stung at clonsilla with the train).

Maynooth/Celbridge to Blanch is grand, takes about 40 minutes on the way home.

• Advertisement

Did you post this twice?... i answered this post somewhere else.
    edit: you did actually post it twice. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52747316#post52747316
    My response is in the other one. This is the best place for this thread so im going to put the same response in this thread.
    Nasty commute!! Best route would be south circular road towards inchicore/kilmainham then take the Phoenix Park towards castleknock. You can then go on to N3, most traffic is heading in to city so outbound will not be so bad. If its blanch villiage you can stay on through castleknock but its usually hectic.

Mods you might want to merge/close this thread. The same one is here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52747516#post52747516
    In commuting/transport where it belongs.

Thanks for that. I did post the message twice - first, stupidly on the Accomodation & Property section, before I spotted this topic. Then I couldn't remove the first!

The job is actually in Coolmine and I considered the route you mentioned to Inchicore, Phoenix Park etc. The only problem with Dublin - as we all know - is that it may look like a short distance on the map, and turn out to be a 2 hour trek. Rathmines is not a definite base but in terms of where I like, it would be top of my list....Now, it's just a matter of figuring out travel time.

Thanks for your help!

Shibby wrote:
    The job is actually in Coolmine
    Coolmine train station is in the middle of that map. If you went east a bit from Rathmines you could take the DART/Maynooth line to Coolmine.

Would either of you consider a bicycle? I cycle from Coolmine station area to Clontarf (9 miles). For you the Phoenix Park would be a nice cycle, especially because of the off-road cycle track the entire length (though pedestrians like to use it).

Unfortunately for my job I will need the car - Only based in Coolmine but will travel during the day in my car for the job.

I'll have another look I think cos by the sounds of it its just too far (to sit in traffic). Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Advertisement

Shibby wrote:
    Unfortunately for my job I will need the car - Only based in Coolmine but will travel during the day in my car for the job.
    Sorry, I forgot about that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I work in blanchardstown and live in rathmines. It depends on what time you need to be in work for. I can leave here at 7.30 and be in work for 9 and I use public transport. If you head down via christchurch and across james joyce bridge and head straight up onto the n3. Traffic is not that bad going out to blanch in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is the fascination with Rathmines? Deos the other half work there?

Advertisement