Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ctrl alt del

Options
  • 07-02-2007 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

hey lads

i am havin a bit of trouble, whenever i press control alt delete the x (exit) on the top right hand corner seems to be missing and hence i cant close it down, is there any method to retrieve it

thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

What windows is it?
    On XP there is no 'X' but a cancel button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭katiepwr

there was always an 'X' button until recently like any other page, it is xp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

CTRL+ALT+DEL will bring up Windows Task Manager, you can close that with File->Exit Task Manager. Is that what you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

....confused..... as already said, CTRL+ALT+DEL will bering up either a window saying Lock COmputer, Log Off, Shut Down, Change Password, Task Manager, Cancel.....

Or if you're the only user it'll bring up task manager......

John

ok when i press ctrl+alt+del task manager comes up ok but i cannot exit out of it, because all of the top of it seems to be cropped/disabled, in that there is no file and more importantly no minimise/maximise/'x'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,119 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

katiepwr wrote:
    ok when i press ctrl+alt+del task manager comes up ok but i cannot exit out of it, because all of the top of it seems to be cropped/disabled, in that there is no file and more importantly no minimise/maximise/'x'

just double click on the (grey) border

i am at work now but will try that when i get home, i got a problem like this before where my task manager was greyed out and i had to do something with services or something, i wonder is there some kind of property/shorthandkey that i pressed by mistake??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

katiepwr wrote:
    ok when i press ctrl+alt+del task manager comes up ok but i cannot exit out of it

I'm gonna' take a stab in the dark here and ask if you have seen the 'Cancel' button on the Task Manager?

Try giving it a click and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

On the Taskbar right click on Windows Task Manager -> Close, or in Task Manager ->File ->Exit. Can't remember ever seeing Task Manager without the "X" top right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Nope, katiepwr is describing the "Windows Task Manager" windows, as used to close down applications and processes.

Someone just doubleclicked on the wrong bit of screen to cause this.

As eolhc said, when you double click on the border immediately surrounding the process/task listing, the surrounding menus are hidden and the central pane expanded. Repeat doubleclick to make menus reappear.

Think that it's purpose is to make the CPU graph under performance into a minature panel, that can be resized down to an inch square.

Alternatively, press esc or Alt-F4 to close the task manager window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

There's no Cancel button on task manager, but as was already said, click File -> Exit Task Manager.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

eolhc wrote:
    just double click on the (grey) border

thats what I was gonna say. His task manager probably looks like this.

taskmanager.JPG

thanks to everyone who helped me on this one, a simple double click on the grey border did the trick, my window looked like the one shown above

thanks again guys

Advertisement