Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in Africa?

Options
  • 07-02-2007 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

I'm considering volunteering in Africa this year, does anyone know where there's a good forum or something to talk to people about it? I've researched a good few organisations, but I'd really like to ask a few people about their experiences with different programs in different places...
    Better still, has anyone here volunteered in Tanzania or somewhere recently??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Bootsnall.com has a messaqge board. It's mostly about travel but there is a volunteering forum in there somewhere. I'm sure there'd be a few people the who could answer your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭themarcus

Cheers dory, I'll try that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The Govt. are setting up a "one stop shop" in O'Connell St. to deal with inquiries on volunteerism.I don't know what the time scale is for start up ,but i gather from radio info that it would be sooner rather than later... 2007 I would imagine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

http://www.dochas.ie/members01list.htm
    A list of organisations involved in development/relief work abroad.
    "Dóchas is the umbrella organisation of Irish Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) involved in development and relief overseas and/or in the provision of development education."

http://www.volunteeringoptions.org/
    gives you a flavour of what's involved and helps point you in the right direction.

Advertisement