Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What broadband speed needed for fluid video conferencing?

Options
  • 07-02-2007 10:37am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just curious. What kind of speed would both parties require to get a fluid video stream on something like Skype or Yahoo Messenger? Up until last night I had 1Mb BB but I see Eircom have upgraded my subscription as requested to 2Mb this morning. I have often talked with 1Mb subscribers and while its great and all that it is significantly jerky. Will the upgrade to 2Mb make any difference? If you wanted really good, smooth streaming video what speed would you both need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Even if you had 10mb broadband it will never be like watching a TV. It will always be jerky and pixelated.
    Just look at sky news when they have a video conference with someone. Its crap!
    Best results i ever got.. and this was way back in the late 90's was not with a quickcam type thing... but with a hauppage winTV card and a standard Video camera... way better than any quickcam on the market even over dial up at the time.. and with BB it will be a lot better. But never jerk free.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The bottleneck is your upload speed. With a 2M download line, you will probably have a 248Kb upload (or around 28-30K per second). It should be fine for webcam video conferencing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

From my experience upload is important but so is the quality of your web cam. I bought two Samsung Pleomax Pleo Cams, one for myself and one for the folks just before xmas to keep in touch. Both gaffs have 3mb + connections and I've never seen a image that good before across the web. No jerking at all and very clear.

Advertisement