Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sata install problem again

Options
  • 07-02-2007 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

right had this problem before and got it solved but had to install drive again. I am using Vista and trying to install my maxtor sata drive but to no avail. Have set sata enabled in bios but still cannot get it to show up?any change of a quick guide, i have a asus a8v deluxe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

is this a primary HDD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

No its not primary its sec

Right i have gone into the bios enabled the sata boot thing, and disabled the promise controller, i have tried to install the via sata controller drivers but to no avail and windows is detecting the raid controller but cannot for drivers for it...

right i installed the promise sata controller which installed fine, but when i go into disk management it comes up disk offline.. and try to convert it to basic instead of dymanic it says i will lose my data which i dont want cos i have important stuff on it... anyone share any light its drving me crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Probably a via driver not available for Vista yet, try www.viaarena.com

The early Via implementation of SATA was to see it as an extra controller, rather than an IDE device, causing these types of problems.

X64 or x86?

• Advertisement

It is the 32bit version...Its driving crazy....anyone

With regards to those drivers i have actually used those drivers, Just wondering in the bios should the promise sata controller be enabled or disabled cos i have read two diff things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Not sure if it is the same issue, but I had the same problem with a SATA drive recently. After a lot of going around in circles, I found out the drive was SATA .0 and the mobo supported only 1.5. After putting the jumper on to set the drive to 1.5 all was fine...

But thing is it was working with the computer about 6 months or so ago but my windows failed and only got able reinstalling it the other day so it was working with the same settings

anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Are the SATA controllers showing in device manager? Is the drive not appearing under drive management?

If it's physically connected to the promise controller, then that has to be enabled, if it's connected to the VIA controller than it can be disabled (promise controller).

Advertisement