Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radar detectors

Options
  • 06-02-2007 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭

Any advice on brands or can they be bought in Ireland?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

They are illegal to sell here, but not to own. In the UK they are legal to sell and own AFAIK.

I remember Maplin used to sell them here until they were requested by the guards to withdraw them from their ROI shops about two years ago.

I've seen them on sale this year when I've been over and back to London in the Gadget Shop and Maplins.

Just stick to the speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They may be legal to own, but they are illegal to use! Bit like a Rambo knife really - you can keep it at home, but can't carry it around. Also, the detector will be seized if found, and you will probably be prosecuted.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

They are a waste of time and money. They don't work for the speed cameras, most speed traps now use laser and while the radar detectors will pick up the laser, by the time they do, your getting the points anyway!.

When all the speed traps are privatised, radar detectors will be even less use!

From what I hear:rolleyes: , you'll just end up driving on your nerves fearing being caught for the usage if you own one. Those that have one don't seem to use them anymore. Again based on hearsay:rolleyes:

Take my advice, put your money into a deep pocket and develop a shorter hand on this matter.

Anyway, it's becoming politically incorrect to exceed the speed limit so just learn to live within the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Road-Angel-Plus-BRAND-NEW-AND-BARGAIN-PRICE_W0QQitemZ110085209822QQihZ001QQcategoryZ14935QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't blame me if you get caught with it :p

Guy I work with got one in Vegas bout 2 years ago......the last thing he would call it is a waste of money.

Edit: Just noticed its Audi approved an "Legal"?! Hmmm. not sure if my mates one is, but it looks similar to what your after, some other diff ones online too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fizman wrote:
    Just noticed its Audi approved an "Legal"?

Just because the vendor is an Audi approved dealer doesn't mean Audi have approved the detector. :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Also , legal iin the UK doesnt mean legal here, what with us being an independant country and having our own laws and all.

Advertisement