Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Quicktime

Options
  • 06-02-2007 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I downloaded a .mov file today and when I try to play it, I get:

quicktimeih1.jpg

The same thing happened last week when I got a few videos from askaninja.com, some of them worked fine but others came out the same as the one I got today.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Missing codec it looks like, is this the latest version of Quicktime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Yep, it's version 7.1.3. I just checked the apple website and that's the version they have for download. Could I get a plug-in or something to let me play the videos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You could try Media Player Classic or VLC Media Player, one of those should work. Not sure what the Quicktime problem is.

I just tried to play it through iTunes and it's doing the same thing, what's strange though is that the thumbnail for the video actually has a half-life pictue (it's half life 2 video).

I didn't see this message when I posted my last message.
    Ruu wrote:
    You could try Media Player Classic or VLC Media Player, one of those should work. Not sure what the Quicktime problem is.

Thanks for that. I installed VLC and it worked! So did the Ask A Ninja videos that wouldn't work with Quicktime, so I'm delighted with that. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Ahhhh... Good old VLC! Always seems to be the perfect fix! ;)

I downloaded some noobtoob videos on iTunes yesterday and they're coming up corrupt on iTunes and Quicktime, but working fine on VLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Try re-installing QuickTime or updating your graphics cards display driver & Direct-X Feb 07 update.

Or from within QT click edit->preferences->QuickTime preferences

Now go to the advanced tab & under video click on safe mode (GDI only), press okay and see if the video plays normally within QT.

QT is a pretty awful and buggy player so I would steer clear of it in general though the web plugin I suppose is useful.

Media Player Classic & VLC can both play QT movies even WMP can with the right codecs installed.

Advertisement