Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Official: Touareg TDI dirtiest car on planet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭maidhc

Is it news at 5/6L Vans with 4x4 transmission are less fuel efficient and emit more bad stuff than a yaris?

Does the fact the diesel available in the US is little better than heavy fuel oil count for anything?

I'd love to see a European version. It would make for much more interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I reckon we are going to see massive hikes in Road Tax after the result of the Kyoto agreement targets. We'll all be driving Toyota Yaris.
    I think the 3 litre plus motors are going to get a seriouos hammering.
    I don't know why the government won't shift to a carbon tax system as opposed to a cc based system. A large engined car can be a lot more efficient than an older small engined car. Anyone one agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭maidhc

A large engined car can be a lot more efficient than an older small engined car. Anyone one agree?

Absolutely.

I am not sure how they reached their facts and figures, but a diesel with a DPF filter should be near enough to the most clean cars available.

JHMEG wrote:
    According to the ACEEE.

Merc diesels also brutal.

http://www.greenercars.com/12mean.html

That tourag aint a diesel. Its a 5.0l petrol!

Edit: Ok I'm dumb its a diesel according to the page, which does 22 mpg... The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It also depends what you're looking at, when talking about emmissions.
    Modern diesels are great for CO2 but terrible for particles. A dinky old petrol engine might be great on mpg, soso on CO2 and brutal on NOx. A modern petrol stonker might be zero on NOx but don't even mention CO2.

Then you could run everything on rapeseed oil and alcohols and just return the CO2 that was used during growth of the (fuel) plants ...

EDIT
    It is kind of strange to see though, that as everybody is constantly talking about global warming etc etc the latest cars (with very few exceptions) aren't green nor small but MPV's, SUV's all with big fat engines. (Who needs a 5 litre V10 diesel in a car for personal transport??)
    Even entry level cars these days put out 100 bhp, cars get bigger, heavier and potentially faster all the time, while average speeds achieved on congested roads drop and drop.

Where are all the leightweight, fuel efficient, space saving cars we SHOULD be driving?

A few years ago VAG were pouring their money into 80 mpg Lupos and A2's ...these days they're selling Veyrons and Lambos ...

Crazy really, when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

no, it's not crazy - you're forgetting we're coming from a position about 20 years behind the rest of the motoring world........time for us to spend some time at the bar, so to speak.

And as for the 'where are all the small/cheap/light cars', well for a start, they're illegal.

I'm driving an 88 Corolla 1.3 for a few days. A 'barn find' with only 48k miles on it, and it goes like a swiss watch, and uses almost no petrol. I know it's light - I had to push it yesterday.....however, it has no power steering, windows, airbags, abs (now a legal requirement btw..), pass side door mirror (they were extra then), and without going out in the frost to check - I don't know if it has seat belts in the back. It wouldn't get a 1/2 a NCAP star, I reckon. It's modern day equivalent - the Prius - rapes the pallet for rare earth minerals (batteries...), and is the most succesful con job of all time. Same tax as a std Corolla, less boot space, more to repair/fix, shorter lifecycle than the 88 one outside (10 yrs on the motors, anyone??), costs more to buy, and at least the last time I checked (and it mightn't be the same situation now...), more expensive to insure as well.............and I can just see all those people getting electrocuted in the scraps yards of the future as they try extricating stuff out of written of Priii (??)

Oh, and in general, with 3 small kids, or 2 kids and one of their friends, most 'ordinary' cars are no good, as you can only get 2 baby seats or booster seats in the back. So we buy bigger cars to fit them in. Except they now have 2 friends, and now we need a 7 seater. Oh, and the car mfrs aren't making small/light large cars, as they're even more difficult to get top NCAP stars for.........and fitting them with 1.4 engines means they use MORE juice, and produce more emissions then fitted with a properly size-matched, say, 2-litre engine. The 320d Estate I'm selling in my sig is a case in point - 48mpg, loads of space. But I'm probably classed as a car snob because it doesn't run on electricity.

But now you run into VRT-man, who penalises you for making a choice you had no choice in, in the first place.............if you get my drift.......

The '50s are gone, so we can't raise entire generations inside Fiat Topolino's anymore......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I agree with peasant's edit. We seem to be living in the biggest age of consumption the planet has seen. Gone are small and effecient, in are big and fancy, with two fingers to the environment, common sense, saving money and the planet.

No more is that more obvious in Ireland than on boards.ie. How many posts are saying stuff like "Don't get the 2.0 litre, it's underpowered. The 2.8 is the one to go for, or better again the 3.3 if you can afford it". WTF ever happened to the good ole 1.6 litre in the average family car and the 1.0 or 1.3 for the run around.

These gas guzzling, environment wrecking, planet depleting money pits are selling because there are plenty of irresponsible people out there to buy them.

I personally don't care what arguments are thrown up by the anti-hybrid crowd, because in my mind they are doing it to justify that 3.0 litre diesel they just bought. Peasant asked who needs a 5.0 litre diesel... well who the fsck needs a 3.0 litre either. People who buy hybrids are at least trying to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

no, it's not crazy - you're forgetting we're coming from a position about 20 years behind the rest of the motoring world........time for us to spend some time at the bar, so to speak.

If "catching up" is your main argument ...then just wait until every Chinese or Indian person drives their equivalent of the Tuareg 5.0 V10 in ten years time :D:D ...you won't see the sun for smoke anymore

Be "we" I actually wasn't just thinking about Irish motorists ...but everybody in the "western world".

I agree with you on the Prius (and other hybrids) btw ...just smoke and mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

A large engined car can be a lot more efficient than an older small engined car. Anyone one agree?
    I was in Toyota dealer yesterday and the salesman told me the emissions from a 2.2 diesel is less that a 1.4 petrol.

Advertisement