Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

brand new golf ... problems!!

Options
  • 06-02-2007 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

got a brand spanking new golf last week from turners cross motors - 1.4lr comfortline model - delighted with it but just have a couple of minor problems - since day one it doesn't start on the first turn - don't know if it's because the engine is cold or what but i don't think brand new cars should be like this? Maybe it's just becuase it's new???

Also something totally different -when i press the breaks, each time - i can feel like a spring or something going off, like if i'm stuck in traffic at the lights or something for a couple of seconds and i rest my leg on the breaks this happens - breaks are working perfectly though.... am i just paying too much attention to details??

If anyone can shed any light on this i would greatly appreciate this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

From personal experience with them I'd recommend bringing it back and causing as much **** as possible to get it sorted straight away, I've seen it happen there where someone bought a new car and constantly were brining it back to get ****ty little things fixed all the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Brakes man brakes!

The pedal is not a footrest.

Bring it back and give out like hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You'll have to join a que......a little birdy tells me all is not well in camp VW, major problems, build quality and electrics and dodgy engines. That said, ye had been warned by myself many times....I'm not just a crank you know.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Have an 04 golf and it has always started first time.Bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It should start first turn - in all but maybe the coldest of weather. Try leave the key in the 'on' position for a second or two before starting and don't put you foot on the throttle.

From where does the 'spring' feeling come from - i.e. where do you feel it?

If you are unhappy you should bring it back and have it repaired. Don't be too billegerant with the dealer because, tbh, VW dealers are impervious to irate customers and they will simply stare at you blankly and then say "What?"

Get written proof from the dealer that the car was in for warranty repairs - something official that you can use as proof at a later date....................you never know.

EDIT: Just seen "Turners Cross". Best of luck there - they can be impossible to deal with sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I own a 1.6 comfortline, bought it new in July 06, its already got 21,000 KM on the clock. It's the most reliable car I have ever owned, haven't had one single problem, even in the freezing weather we are having lately. Bring it back and get it checked.

DonJose wrote:
    I own a 1.6 comfortline, bought it new in July 06, its already got 21,000 KM on the clock. It's the most reliable car I have ever owned, haven't had one single problem, even in the freezing weather we are having lately. Bring it back and get it checked.

Not trying to shatter your illusions, but its early days yet:D

I've a 2000 VW Bora and all I've had to replace so far (after 45,000 miles) is a brake light switch and, wait for it, a set of pistons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Its brand new so its under warranty and shouldnt cost you anything.Just give out to them and see what else you get for free:D

drdre wrote:
    see what else you get for free:D

VW wouldn't even give you an air freshner for free!

The only positive thing about VW is that since July 2006 they use the AA as their roadside assistance service, and I must say, it's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

crosstownk wrote:
    The only positive thing about VW is that since July 2006 they use the AA as their roadside assistance service, and I must say, it's brilliant.

Its just as well really at least they have something in their favour.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

crosstownk wrote:
    VW wouldn't even give you an air freshner for free!

Yeah you are right,when i go my golf i was told they will throw in mats and they bloody charged me for them.But i have to admit the golf is an amazing car but just abit overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,211 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DonJose wrote:
    I own a 1.6 comfortline, bought it new in July 06, its already got 21,000 KM on the clock. It's the most reliable car I have ever owned

It's beyond me that you can talk about a car that's months old, not years, in terms of the most reliable car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

crosstownk wrote:

Was wondering who it was.

I have a Golf GTI for just over a year now with no problems(touches wood :D )
    Surprisingly not even any squeaks or rattles..

Seven Worlds will Collide

crosstownk wrote:

Plus the fact that VW in Germany are "buying" back the franchise from MDL.............. At least we'll have an attitude change - but will it be in the customers interest? Well, it couldn't be any worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,199 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DonJose wrote:

In all fairness 21,000 km is not alot of use to judge if any car is reliable or not, maybe when it has 121,000 km it is fairer to judge how reliable it has been. Also most if not all cars are tested at well below colder temperatures than we experience here in Ireland the odd couple of days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

crosstownk wrote:
    Not trying to shatter your illusions, but its early days yet:D

I've a 2000 VW Bora and all I've had to replace so far (after 45,000 miles) is a brake light switch and, wait for it, a set of pistons!
    I plan on selling it after 12 months or 40,000 KM, which ever comes first ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

They give a rubbish guarantee for such a "reliable" car, only the bare minimum legally required 2 years, most others give 3+ years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

has the car been sitting on their lot rusting for the past year till you bought it and the finally registered it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

1.4 petrol , have it 3 years and 50k miles , no problems.
    Small bit of dash rattle, a couple of blub changes but no other problems.
    I really like this car, and would call it a really reliable car.

Always starts first time, it does hesitate a little on really cold mornings but not anything thats ever worried me.
    Nothing weird about the brakes either.
    Get it checked for peace of mind.

Advertisement