Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking at used car tomorrow - advice?

Options
  • 06-02-2007 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

I'm going to look at a 2005 Toyota Corolla Verso for the missus tomorrow. Its a private sale and the guy is willing to drive 1.5hrs to meet me as its too far for me to go up & down in one day.

The car has a year and a half manuf warranty left on it, so any mechanical issues that it has should be taken care of by toyota. None the less I'll still give it a good looking over.

I'll be on my own so I'm just obviously worried about hidden crash damage. Is there anything obvious to check for crash damage? Where to look?

How to check for forgeries on documentation? Is there anywhere I can confirm chassis number to registration number?

Its also a diesel. Never driven a diesel before so anything in that dept. also I should look out for?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd say bring a mechanic.

To get the full picture you must get underneath the car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

www.cartell.ie

make sure you take down the car's reg, chassis number and NCT cert number (not needed in your case). That way, when you get home, you can plug them into cartell and make sure they all match.

Get the €40 one, that way a finance check will be done. If the car is the subject of a finance agreement, the bank can legally reposses if the original buyer doesn't keep the payments up, leaving you out in the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

C.D. wrote:
    www.cartell.ie

make sure you take down the car's reg, chassis number and NCT cert number (not needed in your case). That way, when you get home, you can plug them into cartell and make sure they all match.

Get the €40 one, that way a finance check will be done. If the car is the subject of a finance agreement, the bank can legally reposses if the original buyer doesn't keep the payments up, leaving you out in the cold.
    I was planning on doing the cartell check as soon as I get the details. I already have the reg number. The owners manual should tell me where to look for the chassis number, right? And I guess it should be at least in 2 places?
    What about the engine number? Is that also worth noting down or will it make no difference?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can't see any benefit of using Cartell.

If they fail to spot anything it's tough luck on you.

HPI offer a warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lex Luthor wrote:
    What about the engine number? Is that also worth noting down or will it make no difference?

Chassis number should be located on the bottom right hand side of the front windscreen. It should also be located in the engine bay and on the documentation. Check the service history and ring the garage where it was serviced to verify that it was actually serviced there and that the mileage at the time of service matches that of the service history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I can't see any benefit of using Cartell.

If they fail to spot anything it's tough luck on you.

HPI offer a warranty.
    do HPI operate in the Republic? I thought it was a UK search?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lex Luthor wrote:
    do HPI operate in the Republic? I thought it was a UK search?

Afaik the HPI check in Ireland will only check for outstanding finance on the car and that is it. Nowhere near as comprehensive as the UK service.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

For crash damage, look at the shutlines (gaps between doors, bonnet, boot and adjoining panels). They should be identical. Look for overspray in engine compartment (also firewall), boot, inside doors, on window rubbers.

Gaps between tyres and arches should be identical (i.e. fronts gaps equal, rear gaps ditto). Use your flat hand to measure these gaps. Look along tyres to see wheels are in line - bend forward and look between your legs if you can, otherwise get down on the ground and look.

When driving (and safe to do so!) take both hands off wheel to see if car pulls to one side.

As said above, you should really inspect under the car too. Bring a torch and a mat or old jacket to lie on. I would drive one side on to a high kerb to raise car if I couldn't use a pit or a lift - maybe you could go to an Exhaust centre and give the manager a backhander to let you use their lift?

Good luck!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement