Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate, SGA Season 3, Episode 20: First Strike [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 06-02-2007 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

That was nice and fast pity i am in work and cant watch it :(

I just wanted to get a poll up so i can see what others thought of it without spoilers

What Did You Think Of This Episode 35 votes

10 - Amazing - This Is Why I Watch This Show
    0%
    37%
    Karl HungusIvanLoGiEWintersKevokCatsmokinpotUser45701DingChavezBernsrogue-entityKojakBlackdragonAbrean 13 votes
    42%
    deRangedYakuzaPugsleyMr EWashoutbalkieb2002telemachus[Deleted User]steviecixoythelordofcheesegammaThe GnomecotwoldOverheal 15 votes
    5%
    SickBoyjor el 2 votes
    14%
    Dr4gul4Suaimhneachkdouglasis_that_sodam099 5 votes
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Shight - A Few More Like This And Ill Stop Watching
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Decent enough season's end although it does have shades of SG-1. Even so it sets up a few interesting plotlines for next season. For me it has been a reasonably OK season with a few duds but the overall quality justifies checking in on it in Season 4.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pretty happy with it. They got to setup the S4 casting in a fairly decent manner and the main plot had a nice degree of action and thinking.

Thought the SFX were great this episode - the city falling and, subsequently, rising and breaking free were excellent. Asteroid was done well too although, to me, the position of the F302s on the asteroid looked like they'd have sent the asteroid in different directions when thrust was applied.

My only issue is with the end. We got a similiar thing in SG-1 when the crew got transported way off from home, no apparent way back, and a "To be continued..". And that also involved replicators. Oh well...

Most importantly left me wanting S4 so it did its job so a "9" for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

While the episode was ok, I don't get the point of risking so much to destroy a bunch of ships that took the replicators all of 3 weeks to build... surely it's not much of a solution to that problm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I thought it was an excellent episode. I think comparrisons to SG-1 are fair but the episodes your referring to just happen to be some of the best episodes of that series also. Now for the long wait till season four airs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i thought it was great, i liked the way they got to the attack nice and fast and didnt do something stupid like drag it out so the weapon only attacks at the end and thats the TBC.

Would have liked to see the deadlus and the odsey as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

It was a great episode, this and the two-parter The Return were the highlights of the season, and you can bet I will be waiting patiently for the US to air the next season, so I can go ahead and find out how they get out of this in Season 4's "Adrift". Not to mention what will happen to Weir who is supposed to have a less prominant role in the continuing series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

mcgarnicle wrote:
    While the episode was ok, I don't get the point of risking so much to destroy a bunch of ships that took the replicators all of 3 weeks to build... surely it's not much of a solution to that problm.

Not meant as a solution, just a stall until the PWARW is ready, so they dont launch an attack in the mean time.

Liked the episode. Brilliant first 15 minutes. Typical stargate ep for the rest tho. And not the greatest cliff hanger. Although thats probably not a bad thing, i'd hate if the cliff hanger was super exciting and i had to wait 6 months.
    Kaylee ftw!!! Abe Ellis seemed like a fairly interesting character too. Lots of characters like him before in stargate, but all got killed or transfered after 1 ep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Pity she is not a engineer instead of medic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Fantastic episode. Really shows why SGA got another series.

Although, seriously, do they not have some sort of ZPM factory on the ship? You think they would have something of the sort... or at least some info on how to make them for Ma'kay/Zalenka.

Overall the ep was super, MacKay showing why he has taken such a lead role in the last series and overshadowing the other characters. Its always a delight to watch himself and Zalenka onscreen ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Yeah i have to ask, surely the all knowing Ancient database has a "make your own zpm in 5 easy steps" guide.
    Overall great episode bit disapointed to see that Apollo was the same model as the Daedalus etc...

• Advertisement

Winters wrote:
    Although, seriously, do they not have some sort of ZPM factory on the ship? You think they would have something of the sort... or at least some info on how to make them for Ma'kay/Zalenka.

i have often wondered this myself, but i guess the ancients couldnt make them in atlantis, otherwise they wouldnt have needed to make the drilling platform

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Good episode... though I did watch it at two am, so it didnt really sink in. Might watch it again. Glad to have another series, they might get back on track with the Wraith storyline...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I just assumed their ZPM manufacturing capabilities were destroyed in the preluding war before the first seige of Atlantis. Probably only ever had a few ZPMs then: and during the 100 years of constant barrage, probably went through a good few of them. I'd say they only made the decision to abandon atlantis when they reached their final 3. Also explains the drilling platform: trying to prolong their defense, perhaps indefinitely.

now. Back on topic.

This episode was very good I thought. As far as finales go though, there was a distinct overall lack of suspense and action. Grand the nuke sequence was pretty but then that was about it.
    The Apollo is welcome: even a Dadelus class; just having 2 for Atlantis is a good addition. Military can't be expected to redesign a Battleship every time they come up with a new name (cheers, Odyssey). Remember that Promethius was just a prototype for housing a Hyperdrive: Dadelus Class was the real deal.
    And the F-302s...look, Im not even going to explain that one, just look up a physics book kid: NET FORCE.
    I do question why the Replicator Sattelite did not finish off the Apollo: surely it wouldve made more sense. Can't tell me it didnt at least have basic sensors.
    As for Weir: I let out an audible ghasp. I thought she was dead right there.

As for the remainder of the episode: it was alright. I'll give it a 9/10 because they leave it in a good place. Still; has strong correlation to last seasons finale (oh no, no air!). Thats cool though; it's an easy jam to unpickle.

Overheal wrote:
    I do question why the Replicator Sattelite did not finish off the Apollo: surely it wouldve made more sense. Can't tell me it didnt at least have basic sensors.

I would have been so angry if the Apollo had been destroyed. They cant just hype up these new ships, expect us to open our hearts to them and then destroy them in the same episode. [cough] Korolev [/cough]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

cotwold wrote:
    I would have been so angry if the Apollo had been destroyed. They cant just hype up these new ships, expect us to open our hearts to them and then destroy them in the same episode. [cough] Korolev [/cough]
    Not really a spoiler, but just incase:
    I was more annoyed that they killed Chekov than the Korolev, he was a great charecter imo, and they just killed him without a second thought.

Yeah i have to agree but it is still frustrating waiting round hearing so much about this new ship and then bang oh the ori blew it up......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the only good thing in that episode was the chick from Firefly.. even if she was only in it for a second..

Ah sure; the writers should establish that kind of mentality "just because we added it dont get comfy". I mean cmon..I cant count how many times over the last 10+3 seasons Ive sat there and thought 'oh thats not gonna happen, because the writers are too ****in attatched to it'. And Ive usually been right :-\ much to my disappointment. Then I watch 24 and I feel a little better :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Spectacular episode, possibly the best this season and maybe even the best finale so far...

Had a little bit of everything, with the rumours about Weir I actually thought she was going to die but I didnt see it coming until it was too late. Its a shame too as I actually started to like her character after her performance this episode.

The entire nuke scene was amazing.

Though the satellite is a little bit disappointing. Not having at least a basic sensor system for targeting is just rubbish. What if they just moved atlantis? By the same token, how did it not see the Apollo or the fact that a giant fúcking asteroid was floating slowly towards the beam?

A casual thrust to one side and reacquire the target and hey presto! Stir fried humans.

Still, quality episode. Makes me wonder how they get away with the previous drivel they are so fond of spewing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

A very good end to the season. A little less action that what I would like, but I guess you can't have everything.

The one thing that bugged me was how they dealt with the beam/stargate in orbit. Could they not have gotten a rope/chain and haul the stargate further away from the planet so that they beam would be less intense, thus saving more of the ZPM's power?? :confused:

I liked the idea of Atlantis taking the fight to the replicators (this should be done with the wraith too, IMO) and also that there was some casualities at the end of the episode - it makes it interesting to see who survived or died.

The ending (i.e lost in space) reminded me of the end of season 4 (I think) of SG1, but still its set up well for Season 4 of Atlantis :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was never a big fan of SG Atlantic-homecare (Think characters are wooden and flatpacked). However I did like this episode. My biggest problems with this show was there was never a specific bad guy: No Apophis, No Ba'al..... God, not even an Ori. They introduce a promising character (Like Michael) and then do nothing with them. Maybe these new replicators could be interesting. The only main characters I found interesting were the two docs and then they kill one. But, like someone said above: It made me look foreward to next season. Like the new colonol of the Apollo (Although don't like the idea of the ship itself) And, hey, it's got Jewel Staite........ er... again...... (Betwen SG1 and SGA I wonder who else from Firefly they'll bring).
    Would've given it an 8 but, hey, Jewel Staite.... A 9

Betwen SG1 and SGA I wonder who else from Firefly they'll bring

*Prays for Joss Whedon*

What is it with scifi actors appearing everywhere? Just watched an ep of Boston Legal.. with Captain Kirk, Nelix, Odo, Leela (from futurama), James Spader (old Daniel Jackson), Craig Bierko(American Dave Lister), and probably many more i didnt recognise. That said, i guess it did make it more interesting :)

*Prays for Joss Whedon*

What is it with scifi actors appearing everywhere? Just watched an ep of Boston Legal.. with Captain Kirk, Nelix, Odo, Leela (from futurama), James Spader (old Daniel Jackson), Craig Bierko(American Dave Lister), and probably many more i didnt recognise. That said, i guess it did make it more interesting :)

I know. I mean, look at Jeffrey Combs. or God's sake, he appeared at 2 different characters on DS9............ On the SAME EPISODE. And don't even get started on Rene Aub... Abu.... Odo. Man's a sci-fi acting whore

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I know. I mean, look at Jeffrey Combs. or God's sake, he appeared at 2 different characters on DS9............ On the SAME EPISODE.
    So did Michael Shanks. And no, I don't mean when he voices Thor. I mean when he played Jackson and also played Machello ("Inventions to fight the Goa'uld!") in S2's "Holiday".

But Combs is good fun and I like his role in "The 4400". However, we're going off of topic here so if people want to continue to talk about Sci-fi characters in other shows I'll create a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Good, solid finale. I kept expecting Kaylee's character to burst into a smile and say "Everything's shiny, Captain" :)

And don't even get started on Rene Aub... Abu.... Odo.

Auberjonis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ooops, just voted 10 by mistake. Really, I think it's more of 4 or 5. But oh well, butterfingers.

Honestly, as a season finale goes, I thought it was very poor. Lots of big CGI shots of the city submerging, rising, and flying off, and a big overly long CGI shot of a pretty cool looking missle. It seemed as if most of this episode was just eye-candy with a cliffhanger tagged on.

It's a good cliffhanger mind you, but as a whole, the episode was boring. I just think to myself how fantastic the end of Season 2 was. Now that was a phenominal ending, and they had introduced a much needed bad-guy in the form of Michael, which I'm sorry to see not recurring enough.

It's a good cliffhanger mind you, but as a whole, the episode was boring. I just think to myself how fantastic the end of Season 2 was. Now that was a phenominal ending, and they had introduced a much needed bad-guy in the form of Michael, which I'm sorry to see not recurring enough.

Yeah, I think I said that earlier. The main problem I have with SG-A is a consistant interesting bad guy. The wraith are so generic. Michael is an interesting character. would make a very interesting baddie what with his history and all........ Also, yet another sci-fi repeater, Conor Trineer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would have been interested in seeing aidan turn into a proper bad guy; would have been good to see a character falling into or across the good/bad stereotype.

• Advertisement
Advertisement