Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What advances has IT brought to decision making for consumers and producers?

Options
  • 06-02-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

just doing an essay for economics
    here are some o fmy thought on this:
    quicker access to data
    speed of manipulation and analysis of data
    more informed decisions can be made
    relationships between data that would not normally be seen by humans
    for example the beer and pampers sales in some supermarket in the USA
    can anyone add to this list
    would really appreciate it
    its wrecking my head!
    thanks
    ed :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

quicker access to data

User generated Data is not very reliable, so you end up trawling through en-edited piles of crap. Ie; Internet
    speed of manipulation and analysis of data

For who is it quicker? In the past a person would have advisers/secretary's and work in a team to Analise large amounts of data. All it has done is placed a bigger workload on a single person.
    more informed decisions can be made

I have yet to work in a office where informed decisions are made
    relationships between data that would not normally be seen by humans

? Nobody likes a peeping Tom.
    for example the beer and pampers sales in some supermarket in the USA

Now that you mention it I can see how the increase in beer sales among the youth of America can lead to a proportionate increase in Nappy sales 9 months later. Good spot!
    can anyone add to this list

Not really but hopefully somebody else will have something better to say. Seems like a interesting essay topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Online shopping would be an obvious thing to look at - people now have a wider choice, quicker access to this choice (visiting amazon.com vs trawling the high street), easier comparison between brands/shops/prices etc, and easy access to hundreds of other consumers' opinions on said products.

Producers or vendors in this area have the advantages of quick, convenient stock control, lower premises expenses, a wider customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Wow! That's a very broad essay in scope!

I would have said the way a leading UK supermarket chain used Data Warehousing to find out that males under 25 were buying nappies between 6pm and 9pm on a Friday night, so decided to move the beer section closer to nappy section.

But your essay title states 'producers' not 'resellers'.

For producers, there's a quicker feedback from their distribution chains based on ATM(till) generated data. They can spot trends a lot more quickly and apply the appropriate marketing strategy/product adjustments.

For consumers, they have the abilty to do a little more homework on the 'net.

As I said, the scope of your essay is really enormous and sounds like something a lazy lecturer tossed out one lazy Friday at the pub. It really should be focused more on a particular sector to have any real meaning in terms of the research you'll have to do.

Advertisement