Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do I make room for a partition at the start of a drive ?

Options
  • 06-02-2007 12:01am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to free up some space at the start of a drive by resizing the first partition. I could backup, create the new one and restore but that would be just too sensible.

prefer not to use partiton tragic

is there like a ranish / qtparted / gparted that leaves a gap the start instead of the end of a partition ?

Partition is FAT32 which should make life easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

isnt the master boot record located on sector zero of the hard drive??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

indeed it is,
    but the first partition doesn't have to start immediately after it.
    Looking for space for swapfiles and boot loader - but don't want to wipe the OS that's there already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

The GParted move/resize widget allows you to specify free space preceeding (and following) a partition:
    gparted_5_small.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Snowbat wrote:
    The GParted move/resize widget allows you to specify free space preceeding (and following) a partition:
    Wow you're not wrong there :)

Thanks.

Advertisement