Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street hockey anyone?

Options
  • 05-02-2007 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Anyone in Cork or Galway area interested in playing street hockey. have no idea of the rules (i like to think it would be like hurling on wheels :) )but have roller blades and always wanted to play it. Anyone know if people play this indoors? Think it would make a great winter sport if you could get a venue. Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

trying to do the same thing in Dublin man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ozz

you know anyone else interested? im in cork but i have a brother in clare and another in galway who'd like to play also. you willing to travel to say limerick for a game? We have no venue, rules, hockey sticks etc but they are only details. if we could drum up the interest i'm sure the rest would fall into place.

well im gonna try and put a team together so if you are able to get one together also we can organise a few games etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ozz

Just found this website:
    www.inlinehockeycork.com
    I'll try and find out if there is something similar in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

Theres a street hockey team at DCU, you might want to look there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

any street hockey on the southside of dublin?

I'm a girl and might have another girl who'd be interested if there's anyone trying to set up a mixed team... or are you just looking to play shinny?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Wow, sounds interesting. If you're playing outdoors, where is it played?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

Hey I'm up for a game! Anyone interested in playing in Dublin give me a shout(pm)! We should organise something for the craic!

Check out www.inlinehockeyireland.org for your local teams.

These are good guidelines for rules in street hockey!
    (http://www.nhl.com/kids/pages/playbook1.html)

If we all had a hockey stick, skates and basic skating protection i'd say we'd be grand! As for a place to play, I have a few small places in mind but they aren't for organised sports. Anyone else got any ideas?

Cliff

Theres not that many places around Dublin that are big and smooth enough to play a decent game on unfortunatly. We could get an indoor place but you'd be looking at payin a tenner a session at least.

Ah I'd say any sort of car park would be fine for the 1st session or 2 if played with a ball rather than a puck. What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Hey I'm up for a game! Anyone interested in playing in Dublin give me a shout(pm)! We should organise something for the craic!

Check out www.inlinehockeyireland.org for your local teams.

These are good guidelines for rules in street hockey!
    (http://www.nhl.com/kids/pages/playbook1.html)

If we all had a hockey stick, skates and basic skating protection i'd say we'd be grand! As for a place to play, I have a few small places in mind but they aren't for organised sports. Anyone else got any ideas?

Cliff

Rules for street hockey? Sad. When I was a kid, we'd set up some boots or ice chunks on the road, the nets. Get a ball and away we'd go for hours and hours. No one did any hooking or holding or slashing, we just played.

Ahhhh the good ole' days.

Then some lucky kid would get a net for Christmas, and if we were really lucky ther'd be two.

With snow drifts on either side of the road, which were good for body checking into. :)

Forgive me my drive down memory lane here. But that was fun.

yeh I know I wish it was the same over here man! No kids play street hockey anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wayner99

I'm living in Galway and would love to play. Anything lined up yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kornikopic

Hi everybody,

I'm french student (post-graduate), I play roller in-line hockey in club and I will move to Galway in April.
    So, I will seek someone to play hockey :D

Everybody interested ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Spaceman Spiff

Rules for street hockey? Sad. When I was a kid, we'd set up some boots or ice chunks on the road, the nets. Get a ball and away we'd go for hours and hours. No one did any hooking or holding or slashing, we just played.

Ahhhh the good ole' days.

Then some lucky kid would get a net for Christmas, and if we were really lucky ther'd be two.

With snow drifts on either side of the road, which were good for body checking into. :)

Forgive me my drive down memory lane here. But that was fun.

I remember the days of playing street hockey until dark, then hounding our parents to park cars behind the nets to play until everybody (the parents anyway) wanted to go to bed. Our garage door still has many of the dents from my childhood, and my neighbor actually had a real net (which meant the mesh wasn't riddled with holes causing loads of controversial goals like every street hockey net after the first week). Those things are a pain in the ass to move when you're only seven though.

Anyways, all you need for street hockey is sticks and a ball. A garbage can, a big box, even a pole (whoever hits the post scores) or even just chalk/tape one up on a wall can all double as a net.

I remember the days of playing street hockey until dark, then hounding our parents to park cars behind the nets to play until everybody (the parents anyway) wanted to go to bed. Our garage door still has many of the dents from my childhood, and my neighbor actually had a real net (which meant the mesh wasn't riddled with holes causing loads of controversial goals like every street hockey net after the first week). Those things are a pain in the ass to move when you're only seven though.

Anyways, all you need for street hockey is sticks and a ball. A garbage can, a big box, even a pole (whoever hits the post scores) or even just chalk/tape one up on a wall can all double as a net.
    It's not a ball but a puck like ice hockey puck but for the street ;)
    It's just a detail.

So, somebody want to play hockey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Spaceman Spiff

kornikopic wrote: »
    It's not a ball but a puck like ice hockey puck but for the street ;)
    It's just a detail.

So, somebody want to play hockey ?
    We never really used street hockey pucks, just didn't have the same feel and real pucks just hurt people and broke things (most often the net). Balls also help the stickhandling for when you play real hockey.

Yes, you're right. I said it because we play with a puck in competition. During training, we play with a ball ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

I'd be interested in playing in Galway and I have a few friends that might too. There is a post on http://www.inlinehockeyireland.org/modules/news/ from someone looking to set up an inline hockey club in Galway.

Thanks for the link :)
    I'm so happy !

Let me know when do you want to play

• Advertisement

kornikopic wrote: »
    Thanks for the link :)
    I'm so happy !

Let me know when do you want to play

Have you contacted the guy from the link? I did over the weekend and he got back to me. There is some interest alright in it. I have a few friends that might be interested and I am really interested in joining a club. I could PM you the email address if you want?

Have you contacted the guy from the link? I did over the weekend and he got back to me. There is some interest alright in it. I have a few friends that might be interested and I am really interested in joining a club. I could PM you the email address if you want?

Yes, I contacted him. I hope to have an answer. I so excited to play hockey!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

well any news on a team been put together in galway. would love to play. wouldn't be able to play well do as i have an hand injury. cut my hand open 3 months ago so i have no nerve in my little finger on my right hand. waiting for it to heal.

cena wrote: »
    well any news on a team been put together in galway. would love to play. wouldn't be able to play well do as i have an hand injury. cut my hand open 3 months ago so i have no nerve in my little finger on my right hand. waiting for it to heal.

There is a formal meeting planned for the weekend after next. There will be a guy up from Cork to help start the club. Even if you can't play well at the moment if you are interested you should come along. I don't have the details to hand at the moment. If you want them drop me a PM. I'll probably start a new thread on the galway club tomorrow with the details in that thread.

Advertisement