Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound is playing back at half speed

Options
  • 05-02-2007 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I may have done something to **** up my parents computer. While reinstalling iTunes I seem to have cause a problem with the computer's sound playback speed. Actually, I'm not sure it was my fault at all but I'm getting the blame and will have to pay to repair the thing if i can't do it myself.

Basically, whats happened is that now any audio played on the computer comes out at half speed. This effects any audio file - or video that I try to play on any sytem - itunes, windows media player etc. CD's i play are okay unless I save them and try play them and things i export to my ipod play normally on that.

I've tried uninstalling I tunes but it hasn't worked so to be honest I'm not sure if thats the problem. Someone told me - on boards actually that i may have to reinstall my sound driver/card or whatever its called. Is there any alternative as I can't find the backup disk? Can i get what I need anywhere online? Google has been of no use.

Finally, if its not something I can fix myself, can anyone suggest how much it should cost to get someone to do it for me?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

hi,what soundcard do you have? sounds like driver to me but no expert on these this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

thats not usual behaviour from windows, might be a setting particular to your soundcard, have you looked for any setting around windows volume control which you might have changed.

if its something you installed that you think is the problem, you could do a system restore to an earlier date, thats if you have system restore on
    you'd find it in
    start->all programs->acessories->system->system restore

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Thanks for getting back to me guys - my driver is a Realtek AC97 Audio.

I could try a system restore but wouldn't that delete everything from the computer in the process? Sounds a bit like the nuclear option. I tried the trouble shooter by the way and it was no use. I'm also sure it isn't any setting because as far as I'm aware ther eisn't anythiing which slows down tempo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Don't do a system restore

What you need to do is uninstall the sound driver. For me, this is always one of the first options.

1) Download the appropriate driver from here. I'm guessing that you are running XP, so go to the second one down and download it. DON'T install yet as you have to delete the old one first.

2) Start > Control Panel > Add/ Remove programs > Find the Realtek driver and uninstall it. It will probably be a good idea to find the Realtek folder in the c drive and delete it after this is done - not essential though. You will probably be asked to restart you computer - do so.

3) Boot it up again. If you have a program like CCleaner (highly recommended) run it to get rid of any trace reg files. If you don't know what I'm on about forget it.

4) Reinstall the driver by opening the .exe file you downloaded (it will probably on your desktop somewhere). Again, you'll probably have to restart. Hopefully, after tall that, you'll be back to normal speed.

Alternatively, start listening to high tempo techno.

Make sure you run an AV (Avast and AntiVir come highly recommended) and spyware scans (Defender, AVG antipyware and spybot - forget adaware).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

no, system restore takes a snap shot of files when you install something, or update drivers. might allow you to go back a few days to when you changed something or before you installed itunes. i doesnt effect any of the user files. if reinstalling the drivers doesn't sort it, it might be worth trying the restore, it's safe enough to use

• Advertisement

Hi Guys, thanks for you help, unfortunately no job with any of these. Well to be honest I didn't try the system restore because it happened during the summer last year (my dad only noticed it recently, parents and computers eh!).

Unless anyone has any other ideas I'll take it to get fixed.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

it might sound silly but are you using windows media player because there is a setting on that to pay at slow speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 thegoose

does anything here help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835730

No, it happens if i use I tunes or any other music player. I've had a look at the link you sent me. Going to give the hotfix a go.

Rgds

Advertisement