Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Track day banger

Options
  • 05-02-2007 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Considering a track day runner as the roads these days are getting too full of **** to enjoy driving anymore.

I was considering a Pug 309 gti or 205 gti,a maybe even an alfasud clover leaf - but I would never forgive myself if I damaged it.

Anyone any other suggestions that may be cheap and fun ? (no sister jokes please) :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Why not an Alfa 156?

They're being given away ..especially the 2 litre ones. Should be enough ooomph and handling there to have fun on the track.
    And if you crumple it ...just get another one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

An old supra, my mate has one and runs it up in mondello, great fun.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I was looking at buying an E30 325i, stripping it down to the bare essentials and using it for track days.. you'd pick one up for about €3k and if you spent another €1k on the engine and suspension you'd have a serious track car I tell ya..

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

RWD Sierra!! 2.0l will go for about €1000!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Gerry

Have an e36 325i, split between myself and a friend. Really good fun on the track. Currently sorting out the suspension, which is a fair bit of work and money, most of the rear bushes need replacing, and we are hopefully gonna get coilovers. The engine has 146k, and runs like a swiss watch. The engine hasn't needed much, just a full service, decent oil, rocker gasket. Its a bit of a beast, 190hp as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Porsche 924.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

A V6 Vectra or Mondeo. They pretty much go for nothing anyway.
    RWD Sierra!! 2.0l will go for about €1000!!

Why not go for the 2.9L 4x4 version?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Max_Damage wrote:
    Why not go for the 2.9L 4x4 version?

Some people are chargin mad money for them at the minute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Take my yoke, a Citroen AX GT.

It weighs 670kg with a driver and a full tank of fuel (according to the NCT). Engine is a 1360cc with a 1600 BX carb. Put a cam in it and it'll have 100hp

Strip the car (electric windows, central locking, back seats, swap glass for polycarbonate, radio, ashtray) and the weight'll go down even further. Put in Mintex pads & grooved discs to sort the brakes

Handling is typical French hot hatch (if the back isn't moving, you're not going fast enough, but loads of grip on smooth surface). You'll be eaten on the straights, but you'll have them in the corners.

By the way, mine's not modified at all, except the front seats have been swapped for competition seats.

The trouble is to find one....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Keep it simple. RWD is the way to go for a budget tracky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

ianobrien wrote:
    Take my yoke, a Citroen AX GT.
    Now your talkin'

I came sooo slose to buying one of these once, but now, like you said finding one may be the problem. Do you use it for track days ?

I like light and nimble as opposed to big poke to be honest although rwd would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I would stick with a rear wheel drive too, so much more fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

200SX then!! If you can find one...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Honda CRV maybe ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

RobAMerc wrote:
    Now your talkin'

I came sooo slose to buying one of these once, but now, like you said finding one may be the problem. Do you use it for track days ?

I like light and nimble as opposed to big poke to be honest although rwd would be great.

No, it's my road car at the moment, but it'll be a rally car soon.

I'll lighten it to hell (looking at fibreglass wings and bonnett to get the weight down, as well as above) The wiring loom has a load that can be cut from it (does a rally car need central locking, a radio etc) I'll get the head ported and polished, get a rally cam and I'll have some fun.

For irish tarmac, I'll get forestry suspension! and harder bushings.

But first, I'll have to fix the oil leak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Mercedes 190E 2.5?

Advertisement