Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox 2 whats wrong??

Options
  • 05-02-2007 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi

Just a quick question i downloaded firefox 2 the other day and i really dont tink its as good as 1.5 well for what i use it for ie surfing the net not really into changing fancy settings n stuff

well any way i love firefox for the tabed browsing and the speed but in this version everytime i open a new tab it takes ages for it to get going on the page i want and if i havent used an open tab in a while it takes ages again. but when it does go it does work fast. its kinda like when you opened up the the other versions of firefox it would take a while before it would start browsing it just happens with every tab now:mad:

this is driving me crazy anyway to fix it anyone else notice this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

woodaaa wrote:
    Hi

Just a quick question i downloaded firefox 2 the other day and i really dont tink its as good as 1.5 well for what i use it for ie surfing the net not really into changing fancy settings n stuff

Eh, most people use it for surfing the net :rolleyes:. From day to day use it is almost exactly the same as the previous version. However, there are some nice touches like the ability to run a handy spell checker ;)

Uninstall it (and any other versions) via the 'remove programme' option in the control panel and then reinstall it. If that still doesn't work you may want to try the FF forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Sometimes I find Firefox 2 to be a bit heavy on RAM when I've a few sessions open (I've plenty of RAM btw). I'm not too sure why this is, although I remember reading something on a tech forum about it a while back. Helpful, I know! :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be slow when you're only firing up new tabs, so an auld reinstall might do the trick.

Have you installed any add-ons for it that might be causing the prob?

Still using 1.5 in work and it's running fine and doing exactly what it says on the tin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

woodaaa delete your current 1.5 profile (backup your bookmarks) and the run Firefox 2 again and it will create a new profile.

The profile can be found under
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\******.default

Delete the the ******.default folder and you are set.

Before deleting to backup bookmarks go into Bookamrks Manager and click File->Export Bookmarks and save the file somewhere then to re-import later click File->Import.

With the new profile in place see how it runs, you will also have to re-install and extensions you are using.

CtrlSource the memory leaks in Firefox 1.5 were fixed in 2.0 so unless you are running some extensions that are the cause of the leak there should not be any issue with RAM.

(A common reason for leaks is people using the out of date versions of the popular AdBlock extension, people should be using AdBlock Plus which has all the leaks fixed & where the development is focused)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I haven't noticed any major problems after upgrading to FF 2 apart from the RAM leakage issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Hmmm, I think you may have hit the nail on the head there 8T8, cheers!

*Goes away to download latest Adblock Plus*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Hmm, one other thing which is annoying me with version 2.0 is the presence of 'close tab' 'X's on every tab - I have closed tabs accidentally on numerous occasions by not paying attention to where the cursor was pointing.

The old way was better i.e. only one 'close tab' on the RHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

starman100 wrote:
    Hmm, one other thing which is annoying me with version 2.0 is the presence of 'close tab' 'X's on every tab - I have closed tabs accidentally on numerous occasions by not paying attention to where the cursor was pointing.

Open a new tab and go into about:config.

Filter for tabs, and set browser.tabs.closeButtons to 3. It will take immediate effect, so no restart required.

You might also be interested to know that if you right-click the tab bar, or any tab on it, you will have the option to re-open a closed tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Right click on any of the tabs remaining open and "undo close tab"

EDIT: Aidan got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

starman100 wrote:

You can also install a theme that will modify this. I'm using Noia 2.0 extreme and there's only an X on the current tab.

Advertisement