Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

supercar ...would you ?

Options
  • 05-02-2007 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

A spin off from the Veyron thread ....

Imagine for a moment, you had the resources to effortlessly afford that supercar you've always dreamt about (Veyron or otherwise)

Would you actually buy it with intent of driving it on Irish roads?

Think speed bumps, congestion, potholes, speed limits ...and a bit further down the line: thieves, vandals, begrudgers.

I think, for me personally...I'd probaly be frustrated with all of the above very quickly and would desist from buying one. If I had the kind of money ..I'd rent that supercar, somehwere in a setting where it could actually be enjoyed (racetrack, Cote D'Azur:D ) and with the money saved ...I'd rent them all over time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd join a car club, and buy an E55 AMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

If I could effortlessly afford a Veyron, I wouldnt be living in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

BMW M5/M6
    or
    Audi RS4/RS6+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

fletch wrote:
    BMW M5/M6
    or
    Audi RS4/RS6+
    and buy an E55 AMG.

None of these are supercars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

zuutroy wrote:
    Maybe but yes as you point out, no supercar is practical on Irish roads.....if I had to choose then I suppose it would be a Lamborghini Gallardo sheerly for the Audi build quality/reliability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭fits

I *know* its not a supercar but its as flashy as I'd get.
    Would absolutely love to be flippant with my money and drive the new Scirocco for a year (if its any good that is) when it comes out, then sell it and be sensible after that.

Even if I had serious funds, I'd never buy a Ferrari or Aston Martin or anything so flashy. I just wouldnt like that much attention, and they're pretty useless on our roads anyway. The new Jaguar XKs are lovely but even they are too flashy for my taste, I might drive an older xk though.

zuutroy wrote:

To put it another way - I wouldnt buy a super car but would buy an E55 AMG (very close to a super car) and join a car club (with super cars).

Actually 475bhp says the E55 is a super car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

zuutroy wrote:
    If I could effortlessly afford a Veyron, I wouldnt be living in Ireland!
    yep I agree... and I'd have a Murci lp640 convertible

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

To answer the question, I have to say, it's a pity but no I wouldn't buy one. :(

The begrudgery would lead to keying and other vandalism wherever it was parked.
    Sheer monetary value would mean every professional car thief in the country would be looking to get into it.
    Sheer muppetry would mean every joy-rider would want to get into it.
    Irish roads would make it impossible to enjoy driving the car. i.e. speed limits, road conditions, other drivers etc :)

I'd just be too frustrated, it'd drive me mad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I would think that the width and limited suspension travel of most supercars would make them pretty slow around Dublin. Unless getting there quickly comes a distant second to being looked at, there really is no point. Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

My choice would be the M5 - I agree its not a supercar but its practical ish

I also agree that if I could afford a supercar I would feck off and live somewhere else eg south of France

This reminds me of that piece in Top Gear when the Zonda got stuck trying to get out of the underground car park in Paris. I think a supercar would be nice for some weekend driving (or posing)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I would. There is no car that I wouldn't buy if I could afford it. (obviously if I liked it).
    If I were wealthy enough to buy it, I'd be wealthy enough to find or hire a place to drive/enjoy it. But I'd only drive it if I wasn't seen in the local area. Don't like the associated attention, but in some other county no one knows me so who cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would have one of everything.

I think if I had that sort of money I would go a:) broke or b:) insane trying to decide what I want next.

The Sultan of Brunai knows how I feel, his collection includes just about one of everything you could want on your wish list from a Mini cooper to a host of Ferraris and yep your right he's proabably still not happy as he's no doubt short something.

Car club is a great idea too, pity we dont have one here - (insurance me thinks)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

If I had the money to buy and run one, then yes, I probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,210 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sure if you can afford to own a supercar, you could afford to hire a racing circuit for a day now and then
    RobAMerc wrote:
    The Sultan of Brunai knows how I feel, his collection includes just about one of everything you could want on your wish list from a Mini cooper to a host of Ferraris

Black gold :)

Wasn't he the richest man on earth for ages until Bill Gates came along?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

unkel wrote:
    Sure if you can afford to own a supercar, you could afford to hire a racing circuit for a day now and then

That would be Mondello then :D

because the original question was:
    Would you actually buy it with intent of driving it on Irish roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

M6, 911 turbo, CL65 or Audi R8 super enough for me. If it had to be the next level, an F599, but I definitely would.

And further reflecting the Veyron thread, I'd go and live in Kerry, and buy a helicopter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I reckon an E30 M3 would do very nicely on the back roads in Ireland, anywhere away from the Dublin region. Ok, I know its not a 500bhp monster, however I reckon if I had a Mclaren F1 driving around parts of the South & West & North of Ireland, I could enjoy myself. There are some great driving roads in the Donegal, Connemara, & Kerry areas. One thing I dont think I could live with in this country, on modern supercars are very low profile tyres. The rims would be in pieces in no time. I already have 2 buckled 16 inchers in the garage. If I did have a Mclaren F1, Id only use it for the purposes of nice driving trips to the South, West & North of Ireland. I cant imagine driving it down to the Tesco carpark to get the grocerys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

unkel wrote:
    Wasn't he the richest man on earth for ages until Bill Gates came along?

Yup.. he has an underground garage for 110 cars and owns a fleet of bentleys or rollers.

One guy out that way is supposed to have commissioned a silver Audi S8 now I dont mean silver as in colour I mean its actually made from silver or some silver alloy.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I'd join a car club, and buy an E55 AMG.
    Which car club, i heard theres one in ireland but is there any contact details for them.

TheBazman wrote:
    My choice would be the M5 - I agree its not a supercar but its practical ish

I also agree that if I could afford a supercar I would feck off and live somewhere else eg south of France

This reminds me of that piece in Top Gear when the Zonda got stuck trying to get out of the underground car park in Paris. I think a supercar would be nice for some weekend driving (or posing)!

How is it not a supe car.It can be chipped to 210 mph.My cousin has done it to his m5 in the uk.That can beat most cars in that range even ferrari's and i think the m5 is more practical compared to a ferrari etc.His m5 is faster than a gallardo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

drdre wrote:
    How is it not a supe car.It can be chipped to 210 mph.My cousin has done it to his m5 in the uk.That can beat most cars in that range even ferrari's and i think the m5 is more practical compared to a ferrari etc.His m5 is faster than a gallardo.

I dont doubt its performance, as I said I would buy one if I could - I just think that "supercars" in Ireland would be more exotic, probably costing at least 250k and probably not practical. Cars like RS4, S6, M5, any of the AMG's are all fantastic motors and have super performance. I, personally would not classify them as "supercars". I would retain that for Ferraris, Lambos, Zonda's, Koenningseg, Ford GT, Carrera GT and of course our friend the Veyron (although that should probably be in a new category of "hyper car")

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I, personally would not classify them as "supercars". I would retain that for Ferraris, Lambos, Zonda's, Koenningseg, Ford GT, Carrera GT and of course our friend the Veyron (although that should probably be in a new category of "hyper car")

Yeppp ...it was that kind of supercar that I had in mind ...

Theres a car club on dawson st, a friend of mine worked there for a couple of summers. That was a couple of years ago now though, dont know if its still there.

TheBazman wrote:
    I dont doubt its performance, as I said I would buy one if I could - I just think that "supercars" in Ireland would be more exotic, probably costing at least 250k and probably not practical. Cars like RS4, S6, M5, any of the AMG's are all fantastic motors and have super performance. I, personally would not classify them as "supercars". I would retain that for Ferraris, Lambos, Zonda's, Koenningseg, Ford GT, Carrera GT and of course our friend the Veyron (although that should probably be in a new category of "hyper car")

Yes you are right,I didnt really mean a M5 is a supercar but i meant its cheaper an as fast as a supercar eg ferrari's and lambo i wouldnt say faster than a veyron:D :D

Advertisement