Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer very slow at start up

Options
  • 05-02-2007 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

i cant understand why its so slow on start up, it takes about 4 mins before i can use it, its got 2.00 ghz, 1gb of ram so i taught that would be pretty quick. i went into run msconfig it helped a bit when i stopped some stuff loading up but its still a headwrecker. any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Have you ran a virus/spyware scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

You should be looking at services rather than using msconfig.

Do a google for blackviper and services, you'll get a list of the services that are needed to run windows and the ones that arent.

As above, run anti vir, spyware as well.

Bootvis might help to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

petes wrote:
    Have you ran a virus/spyware scan?

yes i have avg avti v and adaware and spybot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There are a lot of things you can do to help matters..

1,2 and 3 are in no particular order as you should do them all anyway.

1) I'd recommend downloading CCleaner (sorry, I'm in work and i don’t have time to find links). Run the registry cleaner (choosing to back up the deleted entries).

2) Download the trial version (30 days I think) of Diskeeper. After it expires you can use the inferior windows defrag programme. Personally I run mine (windows defrag) every time I install something large – maybe twice a month.

3) As was stated run your AV programme - Avast and AntiVir are recommended. You will also need to run antispyware programmes if you havent already. Windows Defender, Spybot and AVG Antispyware are all free and excellent.

Last resort would be to format your HDD abd reinstall your OS. I'd recommend doing this once a year or so anyway and it's not difficult, just time consuming. There are plenty of easy to follow guides on the internet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

ok i downloaded diskeeper and when i go to run ie i get, chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume main c until chkdsk is run, disc skipper cannot Analise/ defrag this volume. what do i do next?

• Advertisement
Advertisement