Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old petrol in the tank. Top up or drain?

Options
  • 05-02-2007 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

I'm in the process of getting my car back on the road after a period of almost 3 years sitting on its ass and not driving anywhere. I got a new battery, and to my surprise, she started first time yesterday and was ticking over nicely. I let the engine run a bit yesterday to dry it out a bit, and noticed that there is feck all petrol in it at the moment. Now the petrol in it has sat in it for about a year now. I want to get it driving, but as regards the petrol, some people have told me to top it up immediately to stop it running out completely, and others have told me to burn off all the petrol thats in it now (by running the engine) before putting any more in. Does anyone have any opinion as to what is the best thing to do? I really dont want to mess the engine up as its going to cost me a fair few bob to make it roadworthy as it is. Car in question is a 91 Honda Integra Jap import.
    Also, any other tips for getting her back to good condition would be appreciated. I am bringing it to a garage to get it in top condition, but anything else I can do would be a great as well.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Get yourself a bottle of Gold Eagle petrol treatment, drain the tank then fill the tank to full and put the treatment into it before you leave the filling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

How much is in it? If less than 10% of a tank just fill it up to the brim, it'll be fine when mixed

Advertisement