Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forthcoming Biffy Clyro album "Puzzle"

Options
  • 04-02-2007 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

I just got my hands on the sampler for Biffy Clyro's forthcoming album "Puzzle", and already I'm totally blown away. The current single "Semi-mental" is by far the best track I've heard in ages, and "Get f*cked stud" seems pretty catchy too. Best of all, its all in traditional Biffy style too.

Is anyone else nearly as excited as I am about this? Why is nobody else talking about it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm excited by it, but i'm afraid i've heard most of it already just by going to their gigs.

here's a list of the songs i've heard

help me become captain
    asexual meat kitchen
    get ****ed stud
    love has a diameter
    now i'm everyone
    semi mental
    who's gotta match
    saturday superhouse
    living is easy... (i think)

this album will bring biffy into the mainstream i think. the album has been mastered now for 2 months and i get the feeling that 14th floor are holding back the release date of it remember this is the same band that released an album in every year from 2002 to 2004 which is no mean feat.

upon hearing the songs i've heard they've definelately simplified their sound as there is no major time changes or screaming involved. it also seems like they are writing an album full of 3 minute songs, as most the songs i mention above clock in a three minutes, where's the "now the action" length type of tracks.

i don't know maybe i'm being hugely picky, the album will still be great and i'll reserve my judgement of the album until i finally hear it.

any success they get though will be deserved as if you know biffy they are not ones for slacking especially when it comes to touring, in the last 4 years they've played dublin at least 10 times and for a smallish enough band that's a huge turnaround.

their newest single "saturday superhouse" is out in March and the artwork done by Storm Thorgusson looks cool but it reeks of his previous works.
    %5C825646997145%20_350.JPEG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Loving that Semi-Metal track, hadnt heard any Biffy before that. Must try get some of the old stuff then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wilsonm2

Cant feckin wait for biffy's new album, its gonna be savage!!
    Semi-mental is such an amazin song, <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Please do not mention MCD events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wilsonm2

ok, can i ask why?

• Advertisement

read the stickys.

you can watch the new singles video here
    http://www.mtv.co.uk/biffyclyro

you need to use IE as it requires activeX

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

have been a fan of biffy since blackened sky so have been around the block and back a few times, and what can I say, those guys never cease to amaze me. They're new stuff is fantastic. The sampler of puzzle is fantastic. The new single, saturday superhouse is fantastic :D

I have a few friends who wouldn't like to see them go supernova massive with this album, but I say, let them be - so what? If they get famous and start selling out the point depot, good for them. Being a fan for a number of years, I've seen them in venues with a few hundred people, and then other times with a few thousand people - a biffy gig is always a great gig. But nobody can deny, more and more people are diverting their attention to the band now then ever before, there's a hell of a lot of hype about this album!

all the hype has been created by the new record label i feel though.

they are being whored :p

on the mtv2 charts today it had the two singles in the charts semi-mental - can't remember what number - and saturday superhouse at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Yeah, just saw the Saturday Superhouse video myself. Not quite as Semi-Mental, but not bad. Its defintely my number 1 must-purchase album at the moment.

<snip>

rumour has it that they are coming back to do a party in a block of apartments. ;)

and if they tour like they did up until last year then they'll be back at least 3 times this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

<snip>

Odds on bet they'll be back afte puzzle is realised, so expect to see them in all the usual spots! (hopefully after 9pm so won't have to put up with the pee wees)

edit: on a side note, what ye think of the new video? I'm digging it - it'll be great to see it being played on tv a little more now!

hada wrote:
    edit: on a side note, what ye think of the new video? I'm digging it - it'll be great to see it being played on tv a little more now!

i've already seen it 3 times today on mtv2, they are totally getting the exposure they deserve.

it's a grand video there's nothing special but to me a video is a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

Cremo wrote:
    all the hype has been created by the new record label i feel though.

they are being whored :p

Ah to be fair, that's the only way proper mainstream penetration was ever gonna happen for Biffy - they pretty much came as far as they could on the back of prolific touring and modest indie label support. They really have to play the game now to get to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Next person to mention an MCD event is banned for two weeks and this thread will be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

I'm really looking forward to Puzzle. As Cremo said its a much simpler album (very back-to-basics, though Biffy have never really been basic ;)). I love Semi-Mental and Saturday Superhouse, both are very rocking songs and I've ended up singing Saturday Superhouse around uni to my Biffy-loving friends, and to myself when there's none of them about :P they have a great live rep too, seen them 3 times, though only once since I really started to like them.

I'd be hard-pressed to say which album outright I prefer, though at the moment Vertigo of Bliss is on top (probably as its the one I've listened to least until recently and so it sounds the freshest). All 3 are top-notch which shows that Biffy will be around for quite a while, in the words of Mick Pyro everything they touch is golden, f*ckin spatial sh*t, out there in the stratosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw some video of theirs today. Think it was on the beach, could have been Saturday Superhouse I think. I wsa liking it. there a band whom I really like, but still have never gotten to see them. Its either I never hear off their gigs, or when I do, I'm already going to another one so have no money for them. This year has to change all that

yeh that was saturday superhouse video.

don't worry about not seeing them as i've said earlier when biffy have an album out they are over in ireland at least 5 times in that year, they love to tour.

the tracklisting has been confirmed by simon (singer/guitarist) in kerrang, i felt dirty buying the magazine this week :confused: .

here's the tracklist.

1. Living Is A Problem Because Everything Dies.
    2. Saturday Superhouse.
    3. Who's Got a Match.
    4. As Dust Dances.
    2/15ths.
    5. A Whole Child Ago.
    6. The Conversation Is...
    7. Now I'm Everyone.
    8. semi-mental.
    4/15ths.
    9. Love Has A Diameter.
    10. Get ****ed Stud.
    11. Folding Stars.
    12. 9/15ths.
    13. Machines.

the reason 2/15th's and 4/15th's don't have track numbers is because they are part of the 9/15th's song but simon wanted them to be spread across the album to show progress or whatever.

also the saturday superhouse single (cd and two 7" vinyls) is out this friday the 2nd march which i'm buying purely for the b-sides. some of biffy's best work has been in their b-sides. check out bonazoid deathgrip think there's an acoustic version floating on youtube but try the rock out version it's immense.

they are also doing an interview and acoustic song (probably saturday superhouse) on mtv2's gonzo with zane lowe on friday the 2nd march

Advertisement