Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Megane?!

Options
  • 04-02-2007 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey all,

Im going to buy a Megane Coupe and have two options:

1) http://www.funkymotors.ie/carsales.php?carid=888375&mk=Renault_Megane_1.6RT_COUPE_Coupe - Costs e2450 - could I knock him down to 2000 you reckon?

or

2) My mates sister is selling a 1996 1.6 Coupe (same as above but in navy) Looking for about 2k for it, could knock her down to 1800 I reckon.

Obviously she's not offering a guarantee BUT she lives 2minsutes away from my house (Im in Wexford) - whereas the Megane above is in Dublin.

Which would you go for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Depends on service history of both cars. If either car has recently had various wear and tear items replaced and the timing belt done etc. then it could be a very good buy.

presence of NCT, mileage etc. will also come into your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 15 silverwexford

Thanks!

Well my friends sis's car has NCT til August 08 not sure about the garaged one as yet.

Also, has someone any advice on buying a first time car?

Obviously Im going to get a mechanic to check it out - how much might this cost approx?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

For a first car I would avoid the megane coupe. Its a 1.6 so high insurance and tax also not the most reliable car in the world plus parts are expensive.
    I had one for 3 years great car to drive but I cursed it on so many occasions. Maybe I got bad one but for a first car try Ford (Fiesta), Volkswagen(Polo),Seat(Ibiza) or similar. The cars you are looking at probably have the **** driven out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

No Megane tbh, the only Renault worth considering is a Clio and thats as a last resort. There are far better cars out there as you probably know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Flankerb wrote:
    For a first car I would avoid the megane coupe. Its a 1.6 so high insurance and tax also not the most reliable car in the world plus parts are expensive.

1.6 energy engined megane is a cheap to insure as most 1l to 1.2l small hatches.

The energy engine is also very reliable. Its simple to work on and service awell. Parts are not expensive if you buy from the likes of GSF.

Great first car to get imo. They are nice and comfortable, feel sterdy and are nippy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The timing belt should be changed every 50k or 60k miles so have your mechanic check when it was last done. A timing belt change can cost you a few hundred euros so factor this into the purchase price if it is not changed. Make sure all the electrics work, windows, mirrors, sunroof, etc as these maybe prone to failure on an 11 year old car and are expensive to repair or replace. Also have the suspension and steering checked for any signs of excessive wear and check the body for signs of previous collision damage, poor or cheap repair work could result in extensive rust.

Thanks all!

Im defo getting a Megane, been my dream car (within my budget) for ages now.

Will get mechanic onto it asap! How much approx for a mechanic to check her? e100?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

check all the struts and bushings, btw the best megane is the one you dont buy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭BrianD3

old boy wrote:
    btw the best megane is the one you dont buy
    So, if you were in the market for an 11 year old car costing about 2 grand what would you recommend that's so much better than a Megane?

Same question goes out to junkyard.

Ive personally never heard bad things abotu Meganes.

The people I know who had one didnt report back many probs.

Also, how much for a mechanic to check her out?! :D

• Advertisement

No idea on the price, usual cost of a mechanic would be €50-€60 per hour.

Megane is a good reliable car, we have one at home. Bought on 30,000miles and its now on 110,000 with no problems at all. It has taken alot of abuse over the years aswell. Like I said, the 1.6e is a great engine.

MLOC: How is it for petrol? Costly/efficent?

I drove if for a few months once, not bad on petrol maybe 35mpg on average. I never really took much note of fuel efficency (I'm lucky if I get 20mpg from my current car). Depends on how you drive and all aswell.

Insurance is as cheap on them as any small hatchback and tax isn't huge either, something like €110 for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

I heard good reports about these guys if you want your car checked.
    http://www.carcheck.ie/default.php

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Hi silverwexford,

The 1.6e is a great little engine, I have a 5door 1.6 Phase 1.
    You got to watch out for the 16v if the timing belt hasn't been changed as it can cost up to Eur 700 to get done ( you have to change the water pump to)
    The only big problem i had with mine was one of the coil packs gave up.These arn't cheap but you can get them from breakers yards.
    You mentioned gaurantee, is this garage giving you a gaurantee if so i'd be more likely to go for that one provided it had an NCT.
    There pretty good on fuel to and theres a 60 litre tank on mine so i don't fill too often.
    You really got to drive a few to see if you like it.
    Anyway there's my two pence
    good luck with the purchase
    OCJ

OCJ: Thanks for that! I think Im going to go for my mates sisters one pending an inspection by a mechanic! :) She said the timing belt was changed just before she bought it (a few months ago). Thanks again!

GAFARRELL: Thanks, but theyre based in Limerick... :(

MLOC: Cheers. Its my first car, so 1.6 is pretty big but my quote wasnt that bad at all. The car is e1800 so thats a saving also!

Advertisement