Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you let your family know?

Options
  • 04-02-2007 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Catholic religion is a major part of our education in Ireland (unfortunatly). If you are an atheist/agnostic do you tell your kids/family this or keep quiet?
    I found my parents to be quite understanding, i just told them straight out i never liked the ideas and principles, and they were fine with it....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm a radical outspoken atheist :D

I'm very comfortable with my position so I really don't see the problem with telling anyone but I can understand how it might be a problem for others. Especially if their friends/family are of the crazy variety.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think you'll be surprised to find that most people don't really care if you don't believe in god. If you declare yourself an atheist then that will bring shame to your entire family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't bring it up with my family, because it's something of a taboo subject (or maybe it's just my imagination). With friends, if the conversation is steering in the philosophical direction (rare), then I'll just ask them outright if they believe or not. But with family it's not discussed, and they're not ostensibly very religious (only really go to mass on Christmas, etc.), so I don't bring it up. I think they're catching on though, since they let me know when Richard Dawkins is on TV, etc., and they see his book lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Catholic religion is a major part of our education in Ireland (unfortunatly). If you are an atheist/agnostic do you tell your kids/family this or keep quiet?
    I found my parents to be quite understanding, i just told them straight out i never liked the ideas and principles, and they were fine with it....

No you shouldn't keep it quiet. You have a right to your opinion. That's not to say that you should go rubbing people's noses in it either, but family should respect your views and your right to have them, as you should respect their right to disagree. It's good that your parents are ok with it, though you don't say how religious they are themselves?

Personally I know my mother isn't entirely thrilled with the idea that I'm atheist, though strangely enough she is by no means the holiest christian worshipper in the land herself and seems to adhere to her catholic faith out of tradition as much as anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well I don't generally like talking about being a buddhist or discussing personal beliefs with anyone, though I'm quite happy to talk about religions in general.
    My mother isn't remotely catholic - she hates the church. I was brought up catholic at my grandparents' insistence. My grandmother is displeased about my pretty much being an atheist. It was actually my grandfather who told her, I didn't say a word. What was amusing was her reaction:
    "What! God will strike you down!"
    me: "er, it hasn't happened so far..."
    her shocked look and gasp of "don't say that!!" was funny.
    But anyway, after dropping many hints (or more than hints) about going to mass for a while she's finally dropped the issue and doesn't care anymore. I think. Grandfather's fine with it. Noone else really cares, I think. I certainly don't go around announcing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When I was about 16 I just announced to my mother that I wasn't going to be forced to go to mass on Sundays any more because I don't believe in god. She's quite religious, goes to mass every week and all holy days and all that. I get the impression that my father just goes to keep her happy. She was upset by this and he didn't seem bothered. I haven't told my grandmother (on the mother's side) as she is very, very old and very, very religious :eek: I have no other living grandparents.
    I still get a bit of prodding and attempts at guilting me into going to mass at Christmas, but I haven't given in. My mother still thinks its "just a phase". This "phase" has been going on for 8 years now with no sign of it ending.

My mother also seems to think that atheist is a synonym of pagan, no matter how much I try to clarify it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I had no problem telling the familiy I was an Atheist. For me it was probably easier as the familiy seemed to equate Buddhism as being a good religion whch it is not. I think this is a comfort position for them. Then again, christianity has never condemned Buddhism in the same way that it condems Atheisim. I often feel that there is a strange symbiosis going on here. It is at times almost as if christianity needs Atheisim to survive, and with some, possibly visa-versa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Bradidup wrote:
    I wonder where this statement came from???????

I think you'll find that's in the Christian Bible. Worth a read - you should have a look some time. By the way, one question mark is often sufficient.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't think a question mark was warranted at all there.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bradidup wrote:
    I don't use my heart to speak. I use it to pump oxygenated blood to my brain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The Atheist
    You hurt my hangover by making me laugh!

Bradidup wrote:

Think you're in the wrong forum buddy.

But does your heart have free will? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

5uspect wrote:
    But does your heart have free will? :)
    None at all... it just does what the Medulla Oblongata* tells it to do.

*I love those words....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Beruthiel wrote:
    Think you're in the wrong forum buddy.

Ssshh ... we have to be nice to the Christians that wonder in here lest they kick me out of the Christianity forum and then I have nothing to do all day and I have to do some real work!! :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I was being nice Wicknight,
    You should have seen what I wrote first :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Beruthiel wrote:
    The Atheist
    You hurt my hangover by making me laugh!
    Teehee - you'd know it's the weekend!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of my mother's neighbours refers to me as 'the heathen'. this started happening soon after i laughed at her when she claimed that she thought satan was punishing her for something; i thought she was joking.

Maybe you should change your boards name accordingly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe i should change it to satan.

• Advertisement

Yeah but then you'd have to punish your neightbour...

she's bat**** enough without me feeding her imagination.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

'No mammy, I don't believe in any of that aul ****e, give up yer aul religion'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

'No mammy, I don't believe in any of that aul ****e, give up yer aul religion'.
    'Thank God for that, son, I thought you were becoming a Protestant.'

Advertisement