Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying a car - some concerns..

Options
  • 03-02-2007 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

New here but hoping for some help. I'm looking at buying an 01 hyundai coupe 38k and its €10,500. It seems in perfect condition except for some rust pieces on the exhaust and under the front bonnet (not on the actual bonnet itself but under). I'm not very knowledgeable about cars so wondering if this is anything to be concerned about? I know that the car was in storage for a year at least and not driven much at all in the past couple of years - could this have been a contributor to the rust?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

im no mechanic, but rust anywhere on a car would worry me

my exhaust was bit rusted and ended up practically falling apart and the whole thing had to be replaced, apparently it was something to do with the car was from northern ireland and the roads get salted alot more up there during the winter, leading to rust on the underside of the car rather easily (how true this is im not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

kdouglas wrote:
    im no mechanic, but rust anywhere on a car would worry me

Haha, find a car more than a few months old that does not have rust somewhere on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 roobieroo

thanks for the input..
    the car was originally imported from the uk and did read that they tend to be more prone to rust there cos of the salting..suppose that would explain..hoping it wont be likely to get worse though?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

roobieroo wrote:
    Hi all,

New here but hoping for some help. I'm looking at buying an 01 hyundai coupe 38k and its €10,500. It seems in perfect condition except for some rust pieces on the exhaust and under the front bonnet (not on the actual bonnet itself but under). I'm not very knowledgeable about cars so wondering if this is anything to be concerned about? I know that the car was in storage for a year at least and not driven much at all in the past couple of years - could this have been a contributor to the rust?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice...

Is that not very expensive for an '01? I think that's the old model as well, they should be cheap as chips at this stage. Personally I wouldn't pay anything near that for that car.

The rust on the exhaust would not bother me too much, just a sign that you'll probably end up replacing it sooner rather than later. Rust under the bonnet (not exactly sure where you are referring to) would worry me a bit though. Should be rust free on an '01.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

roobieroo wrote:
    I'm not very knowledgeable about cars so wondering if this is anything to be concerned about?

Do you know a mechanic?

If not, then buy yourself one for an hour and bring him along to have a look at the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 roobieroo

i've been looking for a while now and that seems to be the going rate for these cars, though I have seen some online for cheaper in dublin but who knows why that is..
    anyway the rust under the bonnet is on the panel just in front of the engine - not a lot there, mostly just orange patches but not very flacky at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

mloc123 wrote:
    Haha, find a car more than a few months old that does not have rust somewhere on it..

ok, ill amend that statement, rust spread out over any considerable size area would worry me ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

roobieroo wrote:
    It seems in perfect condition except for some rust pieces on the exhaust and under the front bonnet (not on the actual bonnet itself but under). I'm not very knowledgeable about cars so wondering if this is anything to be concerned about?
    If you not sure of what to look for then bring a mechanic. If you are not mechanically minded then you can't give the car a proper inspection efore you hand over ten grand!

Advertisement